First-time attendee? What to know before you go
For those of you who are attending ATCE for the first time (or for those who haven't attended in a long time), we've compiled answers to frequently-asked questions, ideas from past attendees, and other information that you might want to know.
- What does registration include? Full conference registration includes one CD Proceedings and admittance to technical sessions, exhibition, and all exhibit floor events but does NOT include short courses and ticketed events.
- Here is a list of the events that you must have a separate ticket for:
- Why wait to register on-site? Save time AND money by registering before 8 September! Online registration remains open until the final day of the conference.
- ATCE has many official conference hotels that offer special online rates, so reserve your room by
31 August to take advantage of this offer.
- The shuttle service provides complimentary rides from the Convention Center to most official hotels.
- There is a special online rate for airline travel and for transportation between the airport and convention center or official hotels.
- Luggage check is available in Lobby B of the convention center for your convenience.
Attendee Badge Mailing
- Want to save yourself the time of picking up your official ATCE badge on-site? Register before 31 August, and we’ll mail your badge to you! (Applies to US attendees only)
- Attendees registering after 31 August and all international attendees can pick up their badges on-site at Registration, located at the front of Hall B, in the Morial Convention Center. Photo identification is required.
Suggested Dress Code
- Don’t know what to wear? SPE conferences are business-casual to business-formal, but remember, October in New Orleans is still hot and humid so keep your clothing light and wear layered clothing if possible. Evening events such as the Annual Reception and Banquet are business-formal.
- As with any destination, we recommend that conference attendees practice common sense and do not wander into deserted, non-tourist areas of the city.
- Wear your name badge at all times while in the convention center. Do not wear your name badge out in public.
- When touring the city, if approached by strangers for fraudulent games such as, "I bet I can tell you where you got your shoes," do not participate. Simply smile and walk past them.
- Keep the First Aid Office location with you at all times: Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, Lobby B2, Level 1.
- Smoking is NOT allowed in any section of the convention center.
Student and young professional events
- What does ATCE offer students and young professionals?
- ATCE helps students and young professionals accelerate their careers by providing valuable lectures and presentations, workshops, student paper competitions, and numerous networking events and opportunities.
- For example, this year at ATCE:
- The Student Recruiting and Networking Fair is designed to help you get in touch with companies that are currently hiring.
- The Student General Session invites you to learn more about your professional career from ATCE General Chairperson Rich Kruger, president of ExxonMobil Production Company.
- The Young Professionals Workshop will focus on “Dieting After the $147/Barrel Bonanza—The Return to Efficiency."
- Are you an international attendee? If yes, then you need to start planning now!
- From generating an official invitation letter to details about machine-readable passports, you need to make sure all your paperwork is done before ATCE.
It’s all about networking!
- Get the most out of ATCE by maximizing your networking! Attend social events such as:
- The Welcome Reception
- Annual Reception and Banquet
- SPE “Run for the Future” 5K Fun Run/Walk
- Students: Take advantage of specials events designed just for you!
- Use the ExpoPlan feature to save time on the exhibit floor and find vendors who meet your needs.
Technical session format
- Want to know what a technical session consists of?
- It is typically 4-6 presentations, 20-25 minutes each, with Q&A at the end. Presentations can be based on papers or keynote and/or panel discussions.
- Papers are grouped together in sessions by technical discipline.
- Browse the technical program online for details on each technical session topic.
- Access to these technical sessions is including with full conference registration and 1-day technical sessions & exhibits registration.
- New ePosters at ATCE! ePosters (electronic version of a traditional poster) offers the added benefit of animation, audio, and video and enhances the visual experience to provide greater interactivity between the attendee and the poster author. ePosters will be on display in the hallways adjacent to the technical session rooms.
Find exhibitors that fit your technical needs
- Make the most of your time at ATCE by looking up exhibitors that fit your technical needs beforehand.
- Search for exhibitors by company name, a keyword, category or geography, products or booth location.
SPE tools to advance your technical knowledge and career
What is the SPE Pavilion and what can I find there?
- The SPE Pavilion, located in booth 2541, is your one-stop shop to learn about SPE's products, services, and upcoming events.
- Members can find out how to maximize the value of their membership, and nonmembers can learn about the value of membership and can buy books on-site at the member rate.
- Visit the SPE Pavilion to pick-up your CD Proceedings (for full registration attendees). This CD includes all of the technical papers being presented at ATCE.
- Check out the bookstore to purchase discounted books. Also, pick-up complimentary copies of JPT and the SPE technical journals.