Distinguished Lecturers are nominated by their peers, and selected by the Distinguished Lecturer Committee for quality, timeliness and relevance of presentations. We solicit nominations from each region of the world to cover all disciplines.
Each lecturer chosen by the Distinguished Lecturer Committee is:
- an expert in his or her field
- an experienced and articulate public speaker who is comfortable speaking to different audiences in English
- willing to
volunteer personal time to instruct and share knowledge with
other SPE members
- willing to travel for an average of 20 presentations with tours lasting around four days or as long as two weeks
- an experienced traveler—tours can
be rigorous due to flight schedules, routing and transportation between
Note: The DL Committee does not accept self nominations.
- If possible, speak to the person you are nominating in advance so they can review the requirements of the program and be prepared to complete the nomination process.
Complete the online nomination form. You will be prompted to create a unique login.
When the nomination form is complete, click the submit button at the bottom of the screen.
You will receive an email confirming your submission. The nominee will receive an email requesting their participation in the program.
Deadline to submit a nomination is 15 March.
- Give the nominee sufficient notice to have all requirements completed by the deadline of 31 March. Have the nominee’s first and last name and email address ready before nomination.
If you are nominated
You will receive an email informing you of the nomination with instructions for the online form. Complete all steps by March 31.
- Create a unique login. An account is established for each nominee.
- Complete the online nomination form and upload all of the following required items. Save your progress if you are unable to complete the form in one session.
After completing and uploading all items, click the submit button at the bottom of the screen. The nomination process cannot be completed unless all of the required items are received by the deadline 31 March.
- A PowerPoint presentation that can be given in 30 minutes:
- File types accepted: PowerPoint only, .ppt or .pptx
- Max. file size: 20 MB
- File name: 30 min preso-nominee last name.nominee first name (example: 30 min preso-Smith.Joe.ppt)
- Two separate letters of recommendation:
- Include specific nominee information such as professional activities, timeliness of topic and presentation skills
- Should be from individuals that know the nominee personally and include the phone number and e-mail address of the individual sending the letter
- File types accepted: .doc, .docx, .txt, .ppt, .pptx, .jpeg, and .pdf
- Max. file size: 7 MB
- File name: Ltr of Rec- last name.first name of person providing letter (example: Ltr of Rec-Jones.John.doc)
- Required abstract/bio master form:
- Abstract must answer the question “What is the one idea you would like the members to take away from this lecture?”
- Biography and abstract must be on the same abstract/bio master form in 12-point font. See sample.
- Biography: no more than 100 words; abstract: no more than 250 words
- File types accepted: .doc or .docx
- File name: Abs-Bio-nominee last name.nominee first name (example: Abs-Bio-Smith.Joe.doc)
You have the option to save your progress at any time and come back at a later date to complete the form. Once submitted, the nomination form cannot be changed.
Deadline for submitting nomination
Deadline for nominee to submit all forms and requirements.
Distinguished Lecturer Committee selects potential lecturers
Potential lecturers receive a letter to present to the DL Committee
Verbal presentations are given by the potential lecturers to the DL Committee at the Presentation Review Meeting
Letter of invitation sent to all DLs that are accepted
September through May
Lecture program year
Manage a Nomination or Awards Program with WizeHive