Monday, 21 January, 0830–0930
- Safety Announcement
- Workshop Overview
- Validate Attendee Expectations
Session 1: What’s the Big Deal about Deep Water?
Set the stage for the workshop and clearly define the key issues and constraints.
- Well Longevity
- Mud Weight
- Geo Mechanics
- Tree Design
- Down Hole Metering and Control of Subsea Wells
- Mud Properties
- Well Cleanup
Session 2: Data Collection & Testing
What laboratory tests and programs do I need to run? What procedures should I use and how can I evaluate the results?
- Particle Size Distribution Analysis (LPSA vs Dry Sieve)
- Sand Retention Testing
- Mud Filtrate Testing and Mud/Screen Testing
- Fracturing Fluid Compatibility
- Fracturing Fluid Rheology
- Reservoir Fluid Compatibility Tests
- Fluid/Fluid Compatibility Tests
Session 3: Completion Strategy
Go over the various methods and decision philosophies used to determine what sand control completion type to install.
- Cased Hole vs Open Hole
- Frac Pack vs HRWP
- OH Gravel Pack vs Stand Alone Screens
- Exploration vs Development Completion
- Exploration Cum Development
- Difference Between Oil, Gas and Injectors
- How Much Do You Spend and Where Do You Spend It?
Session 4: Screen Selection – Design & Issues
How do we properly select screens for deep water completions. What should we use in cased hole and what should we used in open hole?
- Mechanical Strength
- Test Interpretation
- Wire Wrap vs Premium/Mesh
- Completion Products
Tuesday, 22 January, 0830–1030
Session 5: Cased Hole Sand Control: HRWP & Frac Pack
- Is HRWP as viable completion technique deep water? What is the current state of the art for design? What are the issues associated with this technique? Present case histories for the successful or not so successful application in deep water.
- Frac packs have been used extensively in deep water for the past 10 plus years. What have the results been? What lessons have we learned? What should we do differently than in shallow water? This session should include case histories and lessons learned from Asia. Some potential projects to look at are: Husky Liwan, Shell Gumusut, ConocoPhillips Indonesia (various projects), Murphy Kikeh.
Session 6: Open Hole Sand Control – Gravel Pack & Stand Alone Screens
Discuss the various types of open hole completions used in deep water? This session should include the current known issues with the techniques, why they are chosen, and case histories on various types of OH completions.
- Gravel Packing
- Stand-Alone Screen Installation (including ESS)
Wednesday, 23 January, 0830–1030
Session 7: Reservoir Drill-In Fluids for Open Hole Sand Control Completions
The selection of the drill-in fluid has a big influence in the type of open hole completion we run. An oil based drill-in fluid makes it difficult to get a alpha/beta gravel pack away. How do we decide what to run and how do we minimize it’s negative impact on the sand control completion? What are the particular issues and lessons learned in deep water?
- Filter Cake Cleanup
- Weighting Agents
- SOBM vs Water Based
- Mud Conditioning/Solids Removal
Session 8: Downhole Metering and Control
- Control Without Hydraulic Control Lines
- ICVs & ICDs
- Down Hole Sensors and Metering
Session 9: Fix or Forget - Intervention & Well Start Up
- Sand Remediation
- Shutoff – Water/Gas
Session 10: Pushing the Envelope
- Ultra Deep Water
- High Rate Production
Session 11: Summary and Conclusion
Summarize session by session, the key points discussed, consensus and disagreement, and the need for future ATW discussions.