About this forum
Unconventional reservoirs (shales) have given rise to the most dramatic increase in oil and gas development activity and production levels in decades. Advances in horizontal well drilling and new approaches to multi-stage completions and hydraulic fracture stimulation technology have commercialized these previously marginal resources. We do not adequately understand the hydraulic fracturing process in such reservoirs or the complexities of fluid flow in shales. We are currently unable to reliably predict long-term performance of shale-oil and shale gas horizontal wells.
- Our limited ability to characterize the multi-porosity nature of the rock matrix-fracture network(s)
- Our insufficient understanding of the physics of pressure volume temperature (PVT) and fluid flow behavior in nanoscale pore throat geometry rocks
- Our incomplete understanding of geomechanical behavior during hydraulic fracturing and post-treatment production.
Significant challenges limit our ability to numerically model the integration of well placement, completion design, hydraulic fracturing/stimulation, and reservoir/well performance. This forum will briefly review available numerical modeling tools and approaches, and identify gaps in current technology, while focusing on future effective and efficient integrated solutions.
The forum will be attended by participants from operating companies, service companies, academia, and other research organizations.
What is a Forum?
SPE Forums are unique, by-invitation-only SPE events that bring together top technologists, innovators, and managers to address a specific industry challenge. Participants are encouraged to come prepared to contribute their experience and knowledge, rather than be spectators or students.
The objective is to create a collaborative, idea-generating arena that stimulates new ideas and innovation about future challenges facing the E&P industry.
If you have a role to play in meeting the challenges of tomorrow head-on, apply today.
Who should participate?
- Are you a young professional with at least five years’ industry experience? Get involved now. Forums are a window on the future that belongs to the next generation of professionals.
- Do you want to exchange ideas with others in your technical area of expertise? Participation in a forum committee builds a professional network that will last a career. Forums offer an exclusive opportunity to interact with innovators, seasoned professionals, and leading technologists.
- Are you looking to establish your technical reputation throughout the industry in a way that benefits your company? Forums provide the perfect setting because they serve as early incubators for future trends and technologies.
Benefits to You and Your Organization
- Gain insight and perspective through conversations with peers who share your same interests.
- Enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of learning through one-on-one interaction.
- Meet with other experts from international companies, research institutes, and universities in an off-the-record format.
- Form professional relationships that will continue after the forum has ended.
- Brief, facilitated presentations promote maximum discussion.
- Conducted off the record to support the free interchange of information and ideas.
- Extensive note taking is not allowed.
- Recording of any portion of the forum (photographic, electronic, etc.) is prohibited.
- Information disclosed at a forum may not be used publicly without the originator's permission.
- Participants are requested to omit reference to forum proceedings in any subsequent published work or oral presentation.
- A written summary may be prepared and distributed to attendees after the forum with unanimous attendee agreement and at the discretion of the program committee and SPE approval.
- Participants are expected to attend every session.
Participants at SPE Forums are selected by the Forum Steering Committee based on the ability to contribute to the discussion of the topic. Attendance is limited to maximize each person's opportunity to contribute.
Accepted applicants will receive their registration form and other materials within two weeks of the application deadline. For those requiring visas to attend the forum, please ensure that you leave sufficient time for your visa to be processed.