Drilling began on the I-7 exploratory well on the Carla South prospect in Block I in Equatorial Guinea. The well will target Tertiary sandstone. Noble Energy is the operator, and PA Resources owns a 5.7% interest in Carla South.
Production began from the development well EAVOM-3H in the Avouma field located offshore Gabon in west Africa. The well commenced at a natural flow rate of approximately 3,000 gross B/D, rising to 4,000 gross B/D once the electrical submersible pumps were engaged. VAALCO Gabon Etame (28.07%) operates the well in partnership with Addax Petroleum Etame (31.36%), Sasol Petroleum Etame (27.75%), Sojitz Etame (2.98%), PetroEnergy Resources (2.34%), and Tullow Oil Gabon (7.5%).
Drilling began on the Bedug-1 exploration well in the Bontang production sharing contract offshore Indonesia. The well is located in east Kalimantan east of the Angklung-1 gas discovery, targeting gas and oil pay in Upper Miocene and Lower Pliocene channel sands on the crest of the Bedug structure. The planned depth is approximately 2050 m. Salamander Energy is the operator with a 100% interest.
The Puka 2 well located on the onshore part of the Taranaki basin in New Zealand achieved an initial flow rate of 719 BOPD with an oil density of 38 °API. Kea Petroleum (95.7%) is the operator in partnership with Rawson Taranaki (4.3%).
Spudding began on the Mjøsa exploration well in the Norwegian Sea. The well is located 6 miles northeast of the Linnorm discovery in the Haltenbanken area. Operating the well is Wintershall (25%) in partnership with Maersk (25%), Petoro (20%), VNG (12.5%), Tullow (10%), and Bridge Energy (7.5%).
Drilling began on the ZMA-A24 development well in the Zhana Makat field on Block E by Max Petroleum. The planned depth is 860 m, and it will target Jurassic reservoirs.
Oil was discovered on the 16/2-17S well on the Johan Sverdrup discovery located on production license 265 in the Norwegian North Sea. The planned depth is 2057 m. Statoil owns a 40% interest in partnership with Petoro (30%), Det norske oljeselskap (20%), and Lundin Norway (10%).
Oil was discovered on the 16/4/6S well in the Luno II prospect in the central North Sea. Coring, logging, and fluid sampling have been completed, and the discovery will now be tested for production. Lundin (40%) is the operator in partnership with Statoil (30%) and Premier Oil (30%).
Drilling began on the 7/4-3 well offshore Norway in the Carlsberg prospect, which is estimated to contain resources of 67 million BOE. The objective is to prove the presence of hydrocarbons in Upper Triassic and Upper Cretaceous reservoirs. Lundin (60%) is the operator in partnership with Tullow Oil Norge (40%).
Production began at the Huntington field in the United Kingdom zone of the central North Sea. The field is expected to produce between 23,000 and 25,000 BOEPD. Premier Oil (40%) is the operator in partnership with E.ON Exploration and Production (25%), Noreco (20%), and Iona Energy (15%).
Oil was discovered on the Chia Surkh 10 well in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. This is the first of five wells that Genel plans to drill this year in the region. Tests flowed oil at 11,950 B/D, and the oil’s gravity was 41 °API. A second well, Chia Surkh 11, is already under way to appraise the discovery. The well is operated by Genel (60%) with the remaining 40% held between Petoil and the Kurdistan Regional Government.
Spudding began on the BNG Well 143 located on the MJ-F structure in Kazakhstan by Roxi Petroleum. The planned depth of the well is 2500 m targeting Jurassic Callovian sands and Cretaceous Valanginian limestone. This is the first of four planned wells at BNG this year.
The Bina Bawi-3 well in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq is now producing 5,000 BOEPD. OMV (36%) is the operator in partnership with Genel (44%) and the Kurdistan Regional Government (20%).
Drilling began on the Utica shale well on the Farley Pad in Ohio. Triad Hunter, a wholly owned subsidiary of Magnum Hunter Resources, is operating the well and owns 100% working interest in this drilling unit.
Deepwater oil was discovered approximately 190 miles off the coast of Louisiana in the Coronado Prospect. Chevron (40%) is the operator in partnership with ConocoPhilips (35%), Anadarko Petroleum (15%), and Venari Offshore (10%).
Brazil’s National Petroleum Agency approved 64 companies to bid in the 11th round of auctions for 172 oil and natural gas exploration blocks located within the Sergipe-Alagoas, Recôncavo, Potiguar, and Espírito Santo mature basins; the Foz do Amazonas, Ceará, Pará-Maranhão, Barreirinhas, and Potiguar offshore frontier areas; and the Parnaíba onshore frontier area. The auctions will feature previously explored concession blocks in mature basins and inactive fields.
Chevron has been authorized by Brazil’s National Petroleum Agency to restart production at the offshore Frade field, the site of a November 2011 accident and oil spill. Frade had been producing 60,000 B/D before the accident.