SPE Latin America and Caribbean
LACPEC 2014 Connecting Student Chapters
The student chapter meeting was a complete success. The objective of integrating common goals of all student chapters was achieved, and the students were successful in getting a better view of our industry, which will help prepare them for work in the real world. Students who participated were completely satisfied and were looking forward to the next SPE event, said Jusser Bustos, committee chair.
Student Paper Contest Results
We say “thank you” for the support of those who served as committee members, reviewers, judges, and moderators of the LACPEC 2014 Student Paper Contest. Prizes for the award-winning students included a trip to Amsterdam for the International Student Paper Contest to be held at the SPE Annual Technical Conference & Exhibition late in the year. Cesar Lizcano (Universidad de Zulia, Venezuela) and Emilio Paulo Sousa (Universidade Estadual do Norte Fluminense, Brazil) were awarded first place in the Undergraduate and Master/PhD Division respectively.
LACPEC 2014 a Success
LACPEC 2014 was a successful three-day event that attracted 996 participants from 19 countries and 43 companies, and the conference addressed existing, emerging, and future societal needs in the upstream oil sector in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The opening ceremony was highlighted by the presence of Rafael Ramirez, the minister of mining and petroleum and president of Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PDVSA); Eulogio Del Pino, general chairperson of LACPEC 2014 and PDVSA vice president of exploration and production; and Jeff Spath, SPE 2014 president.
During the multidisciplinary event, important regional issues were discussed, including deep-water development, digital oilfields, emerging technologies, advances in enhanced oil recovery, and unconventional reserves.
This world-class conference also held additional activities with special formats, such as a Young Professional Session, Training Courses, and a Student Competition of technical papers.
Finally, SPE announced that LACPEC 2015 will be held in Quito, Ecuador late in the year.
Oil and Gas Facilities Workshop in Lima, Peru Gathers More Than 60 Specialists
The Monetizing Reserves in Challenging Environments Workshop held this past April focused on the challenges in Peru and the region to monetize reserves, perform exploration and construction in complex environments and remote locations. The Ministry of Energy and Mines of Peru, Eleodoro Mayorga, inaugurated the second day of the event. He said that this high technical SPE workshop is important for the professionals in the industry as it helps prepare them for the currently undergoing challenges and changes. “The industry has great growth potential and improvement capacity (…) the curve of petroleum national production must go up“, said Mayorga.
Young Professionals Leading the Change at LACPEC 2014
“Challenges, Opportunities, and Action Plan”: The Young Professionals Session was a great success. The overwhelming response of the 200 attendees revealed the new generation’s keen interest in their petroleum engineering careers. Speakers focused on the necessary technical and soft skills that young professionals must continue to develop. A panel of experts, with diverse backgrounds that ranged from management to technical leadership, set the course for an action plan to support the development of young talent in leadership roles.
- Argentine Petroleum
- Caracas Petroleum
- Eastern Venezuela
- Espirito Santo
- Golfo San Jorge
- Mexico City
- Monagas Venezuela
- Northeast Colombia
- Southern Venezuela
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Western Venezuela Petroleum
- Anton de Kom University of Suriname
- Escuela Politecnica Nacional
- Escuela Superior Politecnica del Litoral
- Federal U of Rio Grande do Norte
- Federal University of Bahia
- Instituto Tecnologico de Buenos Aires
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica do Rio
- Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- Universidad Central de Venezuela
- Universidad Central del Ecuador
- Universidad de America
- Universidad de Buenos Aires
- Universidad de Oriente
- Universidad del Zulia
- Universidad Estatal Peninsula de Santa Elana
- Universidad Gabriel Rene Moreno-Bolivia
- Universidad Industrial de Santander
- Universidad Mayor de San Andres
- Universidad Nacional de Cuyo
- Universidad Nacional de Ingenieria
- Universidad Nacional de la Patagonia
- Universidad Nacional de Piura
- Universidad Nacional del Comahue
- Universidad Nacional Exp. de Llanos Occidentales
- Universidad Privada de Santa Cruz
- Universidad Simon Bolivar
- Universidad Surcolombiana
- Universidade Estacio de Sa
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas
- Universidade Estadual do Norte Fluminense
- Universidade Federal de Itajuba
- Universidade Federal do Espirito Santo
- Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
- Universidade Federal Fluminense
- University of the West Indies
- University of Trinidad & Tobago
- University of Vila Velha
222 Palisades Creek Dr.
Richardson, TX USA
Hours: 0730 to 1700 CST (GMT–5) M – F
The Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) is a not-for-profit professional association whose members are engaged in energy resources development and production. SPE serves more than 124,000 members in 135 countries worldwide. SPE is a key resource for technical knowledge related to the oil and gas exploration and production industry and provides services through its publications, events, training courses, and online resources.