SPE’s Young Professional (YP) programs — for our members age 35 and younger— not only help you acquire professional and soft skills, but provide ample networking opportunities to help you advance your career.
Young Member Engagement Committee
The Young Member Engagement Committee (YMEC) ensures young professional and student engagement remains a top priority for SPE. YMEC members play a crucial role in developing and implementing valuable programs and activities for SPE young members worldwide.
Explore Educational and Networking Opportunities
Engage the next generation of oil and gas professionals! The Ambassador Lecturer Program invites YPs to present and share their experiences with local SPE chapters, universities, and schools.
The Career Pathways Fair gives you a chance to meet with specialists from multiple disciplines and gain insight into possible career paths. Held several times throughout the year, this event gives students, recent graduates, and YPs an opportunity to speak with experienced professionals in an informal environment.
Gain industry insights and practical career advice from experienced professionals through the eMentoring program. YPs also have the unique opportunity to serve as mentors to students.
The Emerging Leaders Alliance is a partnership among leading engineering and science-based organizations that provides high-quality leadership training. The YMEC selects promising YP members to attend this conference and develop their skills. View past lectures on our YouTube playlist.
For your chance to attend the Emerging Leaders Alliance Conference, apply here.
Give back to SPE and the industry with the League of Volunteers! Opportunities are available for YPs to participate, run, and develop various soft skills events such as communication skills workshops and team building exercises.
“Spotlight on Young Professionals” lets members share the voluntary contributions and technical achievements of YPs. Submit your story today for a chance to be featured in The Way AheadTM! All applications will be reviewed by the YMEC.
Webinars by YPs for YPs
Share soft skills and technical knowledge globally with other young professionals.
The Way AheadTM is SPE's online resource for students and young professionals. Produced by YP volunteers, articles are posted regularly and include topics such as career development, emerging technologies, mentoring, and university-to-industry transition.
Other SPE Resources for Young Professionals
- Find out if your section has a YP Committee and start contributing in your region
- Get published in one of our peer-reviewed journals and be considered for the Cedric K. Ferguson Young Technical Author Medal
- Nominate your colleague for a Regional or International Young Member Outstanding Service Award
- Enhance your career through SPE’s Petroleum Engineering Certification program
- Volunteer with SPE’s Energy Education program, Energy4me
- Take control of your professional development and identify your knowledge gaps through SPE’s Competency Management Tool, a free tool for members
- Join our YP Community on SPE Connect to discuss and share information with other young professionals
For questions on any of the programs shown here, email us.