Why is Energy4me constantly referencing energy education? Watch this short video for insight into Energy4me, its offerings and how you can get involved!
We are pleased to announce and welcome to SPE the following new student chapters:
- Australian College of Kuwait, Kuwait
- Bucharest University, Romania
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technical University, India
- Jorge Amado University, Brazil
- Qatar University, Qatar
- Universidad Autonoma del Carmen, Mexico
- University of Salford, United Kingdom
- Kazan Federal University, Russia
- Bashkir State University, Russia
- St. Petersburg, Russia
- Dehradun Institute of Technology, Uttarakhand, India
- University of Waterloo, Canada
- Curtin University Sarawak, Malaysia
View a list of all SPE student chapters »
Congratulations to the first place winners of SPE’s regional student paper contests. These regional winners are now invited to participate in SPE’s International Student Paper Contest held during ATCE in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
First Place Winners
European Region Winners
- Lukas Mosser—Undergraduate Division
- Vijay Mulchandani—Master’s Division
- LuDinh Vi—PhD Division
Asia Pacific Region
- Suyang Zhu—Undergraduate Division
- Mohammed Al Hamdan—Master’s Division
- Mia Jovic—Undergraduate Division
- Ezulike Obinna—PhD Division
- Bamisebi Adetiloye—Undergraduate Division
- Naomi Amoni Ogolo—PhD Division
Gulf Coast Region
- Brandon Hilts—Undergraduate Division
- Shaina Kelly—Master’s Division
- Kan Wu—PhD Division
- Kolchin Alexander—Undergraduate Division
- Evdokimova Elena—Master’s Division
- Maslennikova Yulia—PhD Division
Learn more about SPE regional student paper contests.
Congratulations to the first quarter winner of the 2013 Build the World of SPE member recruitment contest, Yonggang Zhang, from the SPE Southern China Section!
Build the World SPE member recruitment contest begins 1 January and ends 31 December each year. By sharing information about the value and benefits of SPE membership and recruiting friends and colleagues, members are rewarded with cash and valuable prizes. Quarterly prizes are drawn at the end of March, June, September and December.
Do you need help recruiting?
On 5 March, members of the SPE New York and New England Petroleum Sections attended a symposium on “Research Frontiers in the Science of Unconventional Resources.” The meeting, jointly organized by Yale Climate and Energy Institute and SPE, took place at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. Participants enjoyed a variety of talks by industry, academia, and government experts on the scientific, engineering, environmental, and regulatory aspects of the development of shale resources.
Figure 1—Mark Pearson, SPE Distinguished Lecturer, talking on Hydraulic Fracturing of Horizontal Wells during his keynote address.
Figure 2—Members of the New York and New England SPE Section and the academic community.
An agreement for mutual endorsement has been made between the ARPEL 2013 Oil and Natural Gas Conference in Latin America & the Caribbean, and the SPE 2013 Latin American and Caribbean Health, Safety, Social Responsibility, and Environment Conference.
The ARPEL 2013 Oil and Natural Gas Conference in Latin American & the Caribbean will be held 9–11 April 2013, in Punta Del Este, Uruguay, under the theme “Sustainable Transformation Through Responsible Leadership.” The conference promotes the exchange of ideas and proposals for solutions to consolidate responsible leadership for business management. Such interchange will be a key method to transform oil companies into energy companies that maximize the sector’s contribution to sustainable energy development within the region.
Incorporating interactive sessions, surveys, and workshops over 3 days, the event encourages active audience participation to cover a wide range of current topics in the industry, including energy security, geopolitics and global economy, regional cooperation, and key upstream, downstream and sustainability issues.
The SPE 2013 Latin American and Caribbean Health, Safety, Social Responsibility, and Environment Conference will be held 26–27 June in Lima, Peru under the theme “Sustainable Solutions for Challenging HSE Environments in Latin America.” It will focus on health, safety and environmental challenges facing the Latin American and Caribbean E&P industry.
The 2-day event has an unprecedented technical program that will cover innovative ways to improve HSE management commitment and leadership, best practices, theft and loss prevention, and management of social impact and legal issues.
SPE conducts a series of global integrated workshops where each event travels to different locations around the globe. The second occurrence of such workshop was in Rio de Janeiro, 6–7 March 2013, under the title “Production Forecasting.”
Workshops maximize the exchange of ideas among attendees and presenters through brief technical presentations followed by extensive Q&A periods. This event saw 64 attendees from 6 countries, with 15 technical presentations.
Pictured here is the workshop’s Program Committee with program chair Daniel Miranda (first from right) and Brazil Section chair Farid Shecaira (second from left).
26 February 2013
Dear Section Leaders,
Today I have the pleasure of introducing to you Leonel Ramiro Pérez Solano, whom I have appointed as our Regional Focal Point (RFP). His role and responsibilities are specified herewith:
The RFP will assist the Regional Director with the implementation of SPE Young Professional (YP) and
student initiatives, support of SPE Section YP programs, and will act as a knowledge portal for the SPE Young Professionals Coordinating Committee (YPCC).
- The RFP will be a volunteer assigned by the Regional Director
- The term of the RFP is for the duration of one year
- The RFP will not be considered a member of the SPEI or Section Board of Directors unless already appointed to one of these positions
- The RFP will serve as a liaison between the Section YP programs, Regional Director and the YPCC to provide
- Updates to Section YP program committee names, emails, positions, etc. to the YPCC
- Support within the region for Section YP program start-up and improvements
- Communication of best practices between section YP programs and the YPCC
- Assist with the implementation of the Ambassador Lecture Program
- Assist with YP retention
- Provide back-up assistance to the Regional Director on YP and Student Chapter-related tasks
- Encourage nominations and annual report submission to allow participation in various YP and student-focused SPE awards such as
- International and Regional Outstanding Young Member Service Awards
- YP Paper Contest at ATCE
- Outstanding Section YP Program Award
Please extend to him your professional courtesy and friendly collaboration. Thank you.
Nestor F. Saavedra
Regional Director – South America and Caribbean
Congratulations 2012 Build the World of SPE member recruitment contest winners.
Oghenero Ozobeme—SPE Lagos Nigeria Section
Andrea Hersey—SPE Gulf Coast Section
Herbert Bell—SPE Dallas Section
Karam Al-yateem—SPE Saudi Arabia Section
Raman Rao Abdullah—SPE Kuala Lumpur Section
John-Martin Donachie—SPE Aberdeen Section
Aleksandr Figilyantov—SPE Ufa Section
Jao Pereira—SPE Ecuador Section
Manuela Badea—SPE Romanian Section
Peter Schrenkel—SPE Permian Basin Section
Deddy Prameswono—SPE Sumatra Section
Build the World of SPE member recruitment contest begins 1 January and ends 31 December each year. By sharing information about the value and benefits of SPE membership and recruiting friends and colleagues, members are rewarded with cash prizes. Quarterly prizes are drawn at the end of March, June, September, and December.
Do you need help recruiting?