On the 5th and 6th of March, CUPB held their sixth SPE thesis competition. Pr. Zhao Xionghu, the Dean of the Postgraduate Office, along with teachers from the Petroleum Engineering Department, were the judges.
Nine graduates and three undergraduates entered the semi-final, with eight participants going through to the final. In the final, the contestants had to deliver an English speech about their thesis, and answer questions raised by the judges. This gave them the chance to practice their English language and presenting skills.
Prizes were awarded as follows:
First place: Li Qiu and Sheng Mao
Second place: Ma Mingbo and Chen Hao Xu Xinchen
Third place: Cao Jie, Xie Quan and Yuan Jianbo
These students will have the chance to go to India to participate in the next SPE Asia-Pacific Regional Student Paper Contest.
The METU NCC Chapter attended the 4th Traditional Tree Planting Festival, organized by the University. A variety of other student organizations also attended, and the Chapter planted approximately 100 trees for a “greener future”.
Here is a summary of the Ibadan Chapter’s recent field trip to MI-Swaco.
Venue: Port Harcourt Office of MI-Swaco, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Speakers: Mrs. Riman and Ms. Ezeoba
Highlights of the Program:
- A visit to the laboratory
- A lecture on safety in the laboratory
- Description of various equipment in the laboratory
- Preparation of Oil-Based Mud by the students
- A visit to the storage facility
SPE NED Student Chapter organized “Energy Awareness Week” from February 28 to March 5, 2011. Banners were displayed and flyers were distributed throughout the university to create general awareness amongst the students.
Over 400 students attended. The event was sponsored by PPL, PSO, ENGRO CORP, KESC and SHELL.
The objectives were to:
- Make students aware about their basic need of energy and better utilization of energy resources.
- Encourage energy conservation.
- Discuss the role of fossil fuels in the future and the idea that fossil fuel is only deteriorating the environment.
The program included a three day workshop with lectures by speakers from renowned organizations and was broken into several parts comprising of different activities and lectures. A poster competition also took place.
Students of the SPE Istanbul Technical University student chapter attended the Schlumberger workshop which was organized by the Human Resources department at the Istanbul Technical University. Discussions were based on the company, business and training applications.
The MIT Chapter held the final of “The Model Making Competition”. The objective was to design tools to remove a fish stuck in the wellbore. A total of 28 teams made up of second- and third-year students competed. Each team had to explain the design and working of the tool they developed, and then remove the stuck fish within 10 minutes. While many teams were successful in removing the stuck fish, some teams were not so lucky. The fastest contestants were able to remove the fish in 49 seconds.
The judges were Mr. Sudeepto Bannerjee, a Reservoir Engineer at Maersk Oil and Mr. Mujeer Sheikh, a Drilling Engineer at Baker Hughes.
”It was a great experience. The students are getting exposure to the real time challenges faced in the petroleum industry” – Mr. Sheikh.
The KNTU Chapter wish to invite other SPE student members to participate in their International Oil & Gas Forum, which will take place on April 16-17, 2011. The organization of Annual Forum has become a tradition for the chapter.
Address: Kazakh National Technical University named after K.I. Satbayev; 22 Satbayev Str., Almaty, the Republic of Kazakhstan.
For more information, or if you want to attend, visit our official website www.kntu-spe.org or contact email@example.com.
The Forum’s objectives include:
- The study and analysis of the development of the global petroleum industry.
- Discussion of students’ ideas on science and technical decisions for oil and gas exploration, production, refining, transportation and marketing development.
- Interaction between experienced professionals of oil and gas industry and students.
The Forum will contain:
- Guest presentations about the latest technologies of the industry brought by leading engineers of major companies.
- The Round Table with participation of companies’ representatives, University officials and students.
- Role Game
- “Oil Games”: Petroleum Engineering intellectual contest
- Paper contest
- Technical Sessions: training, seminars and lectures by professionals
- Petroleum Party
SPE holds ten regional student paper contests allowing students at the undergraduate, master’s, and doctorate level to showcase their skills and research, competing against other students from their region for the opportunity to participate in the international student paper contest, held during the Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition.
The SPE Canadian Regional Student Paper Contest is scheduled for 15 June 2011 at University of Regina. All current SPE student members located in the Canadian region are invited to participate. The winners will travel to the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition in Denver to compete against students from other regions in the International Student Paper contest.
- Paper submission deadline – 15 May 2011 Continue reading