The PETRONAS student chapter recently organized and held an “Education and Exposure Week”. The main objectives of this program were to:
- Cultivate and foster the interest and awareness of the oil and gas industry among the UTP student community.
- Promote the Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS student chapter.
- Provide a platform for experienced personnel in the oil & gas industry to share their experiences and knowledge with students
The week resulted in over 270 students signing up to be members of the student chapter.
Guest Speaker Ms Zahidah Bt Mohd Zaid from PETRONAS Research Private Limited was invited to give a talk on “Enhanced Oil Recovery.”
Although just recently established, SPE Student Chapter UACCM has come out running very strong! Their student members of the chapter
- were recognized at an event discussing Well Control-Current Trends and Concerns with speaker Odon Simoneaux.
- participated in an event where Ron Walsmith presented a discussion on EPA, GHG and Methane Emissions in Gas Production and Transmission.
- participated in fundraising activities at their Student Government Association’s Fall Fest and also the Fayetteville Shale Scholarship Fund Annual Golf Tournament.
- volunteered during the American Red Cross Blood Drive.
With all these events, the team is working hard to maintain a successful excellent student chapter. Congratulations once again UACCM for being selected the March 2011 SPE Student Chapter of the Month!
The University of Ibadan Chapter successfully ran a series of three workshops at different venues (or “zones”). Overall, approximately 400 students from 10 colleges and schools participated.
The idea of the scheme was to give students an insight into the petroleum and engineering industry. The events proved to be popular with the participants.
The following Chapter members gave talks on the topics “Petroleum Engineers Make a World of Difference”, “SPE and its Benefits” and “Safety Tips”: Gbenga Abe, Tunde Awojobi, Toba Isehunwa, Demeji Adeyemi, Yinka Bamidele, Gerald Ekechukwu, Rufus Oluwaseyi and Victor Oyebokun.
The program also included the following:
- Quiz Competition for participating schools
- Question and Answer Session
- Award of Certificate of Participation
- Presentation of a short drilling video
Members of the TSU Student Chapter made a short film to promote the Annual Conference titled “Modern Technologies for the Oil and Gas Industry of West Siberia.” The conference will take place in April 2011 at the West Siberian Innovation Center of Oil and Gas. The film covered general information about the conference and information on the paper contest. The Chapter felt it was a good way to attract new members and raise interest in the event from other chapters. They are promoting the event as a place for young professionals and students to share experiences and ideas.
They were welcomed by the staff and management of NPDC. The Chapter was then taken on a tour of the site, and learned the specifics and in-depth details on how the flow station is run and managed. Continue reading
Obiz Ltd gave handbooks to the SPE Mehran Chapter. The Chapter Officers decided to give these books to the Institute of Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering as reference books, so that other students could benefit. Continue reading
All students were welcomed to the Chapter and introduced to the Student Chapter committee. Continue reading
SPE 2011 President Alain Labastie gave a presentation to members of the PDPU Student Chapter on 24 January. He discussed:
· the importance of the Petroleum Industry with respect to GHG emissions
· the challenges that young petroleum graduates face in the workforce, and how to apply university education in the field
· the different SPE fellowship programs on offer
· continuing membership with SPE after graduation
All the students found the talk highly motivating.
Alain Labastie also judged a poster competition based on “Green Earth and Global Warming” and presented certificates to the winners. Creativity, conceptual design and aesthetics were included in the judging categories.
The University of Oklahoma SPE Student Chapter has been a very busy successful chapter. They have been constantly striving to increase their membership and to keep their members active in professional, service and social events.
This chapter has been awarded the Hope Award for their accomplishments during the University of Oklahoma’s Relay for Life, raising just under $12,000 for the American Cancer Society. They participated in Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, Habitat for Humanity Shack-A-Thon, OU Big Event, American Red Cross Blood Drives and many other ongoing events.
They hold the most recent coveted title of SPE Petrobowl Champions, which they won at ATCE in Florence, Italy. The chapter hosted a booth at the College of Engineering Shell Fall Festival where they spoke to students about the Society of Petroleum Engineers. This chapter continues to hold technical meetings every 2-3 weeks and have hosted Linn Energy, Cimarex, Anadarko, Devon Energy and Chesapeake at these meetings.
The University of Oklahoma SPE Student Chapter has several plans projected to keep their members busy maintaining a successful chapter.
Congratulations, University of Oklahoma SPE Student Chapter. Continue to strive and achieve excellence.
The KSU Student Chapter held its first luncheon discussion at the Almena Hotel in Riyadh. The team discussed how it would be possible to become Chapter of the Month, and how to prepare for the Student Paper Contests. All of the committee and sub-committee members attended and each person left with a list of tasks to complete.