Nico van Wingen Memorial Graduate Fellowship
The Nico van Wingen Memorial Graduate Fellowship in Petroleum Engineering is
supported by the Nico van Wingen fund of the SPE Foundation. All award recipients are nominated by the SPE Student Chapter Faculty Advisor or Department Chair. Up to two awards are given in the amount of USD 5,000 each per year.
- Must be an SPE member at an official student chapter
- Must be at the Ph.D. level
- Must intend to pursue a career in academia
- If awarded, recipients must submit annual confirmation from advisor showing progress and a justification for renewal.
- Comply with sanction policy
SPE Student Chapter Faculty Advisor or Department Chair must:
- Submit your nomination by filling out the online nomination form. After completing the nomination form, you will receive an electronic confirmation. Your nominee will be contacted by email with a link to complete an online application.
The nominee must:
- Use the link provided in the email to complete and submit the online application.
- Gather, scan and upload official transcripts for all institutions attended, two letters of recommendation and a resume.
- Submit all documents electronically by 1 November.
About Nico van Wingen
Nico van Wingen was a graduate of the California Institute of Technology,
and earned an MS degree in petroleum engineering from the University of
California and a DSc degree from Adamson University in Manila.
Mr. van Wingen
worked as an evaluation engineer, consultant and then as a professor of
petroleum engineering at the University of Oklahoma and the University of
Southern California. Mr. van Wingen played a major role in the development of
oil production technology in the US, Austria, Canada, West Germany, Iran,
Turkey and Venezuela. He was active on many SPE committees and won the Anthony
F Lucas Gold Medal and SPE Distinguished Member award in 1985.
Manage an Awards Program with WizeHive.
U.S. law prohibits provision of certain services to individuals residing in embargoed countries; therefore, not all applicants may be eligible to participate in the Nico van Wingen Fellowship program. Read more.