Section Operations Manual
Guidelines and Policies
- Advocacy Policy
- Antitrust Compliance Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Policy to Establish and Maintain an SPE Section or Student Chapter
- Email Policy for Sections, Student Chapters, and Councils
- Insurance and Alcohol Guidelines
- Online Community Guidelines
- Policy on the Use of the SPE Name and Logo
- Policy to Establish and Maintain an SPE Council
- Professional Conduct
- Publications Policy
- Section and Chapter Events Guidelines
- Section Website Guideline
Because the scope of activities related to membership recruitment, retention, and volunteerism is so extensive, the section should consider utilizing a committee for these duties. The chair of the committee should serve as an officer of the section board.
- Knowing the requirements of SPE membership and how to apply
- Ensuring that both members and non-members are fully aware of all the advantages of SPE membership
- Organizing and executing member recruitment drives
- Informing the section board about membership statistics
- Recognizing long-term members (see recognition chapter)
- Encouraging members to volunteer
Section Membership Contest
The year-long section membership contest motivates and rewards section efforts to recruit and retain members. Learn more and see current section standings.
- Learn more about recruiting best practices.
- Contact members after 1 January and remind them to renew their membership
- Maintain lists of prospective new members and develop recruitment campaigns and programs to encourage membership. SPE materials for recruiting are available to download or order on the Marketing Materials Website. Resources for locating nonmembers include
- section meetings
- Colleagues and friends of current members
- Recent graduates from your student chapters
- Establish your own recruitment program and awards
- Appoint key contacts in each company to assist with promoting membership in their workplace
Young Professionals are members younger than age 36 looking to be active in the industry they will one day lead. It is important that sections establish strong relationships with their young members, cultivating them into active section participants and leaders.
The Mentor Chair works closely with young professional members of the section and serves as the main source of communication between the board and young professionals. The mentor chair should not be a YP.
- Provide guidance to YPs on operating within the section and mission of SPE
- Works with the membership chair to recruit and retain young professionals
- Maintain frequent contact with YP leaders
- Assist with the development of a YP committee
- Offer suggestions for Ambassador Lecturer Program visits, field trips, and speakers
- Encourage section and board members to participate in YP activities
- Report to the section board any pertinent information related to YPs
The YP Chairperson also serves on the section board, but should be a young professional. The YP Chair should collaborate with the Mentor Chair and other officers as needed for programs.
- Develop a recruitment and retention strategy for young members
- Propose professional development and networking opportunities for young members
- Communicate and promote section events to young professionals
- Encourage young professionals to participate is SPE programs
Operate a YP Committee
The mission of a YP committee is to identify, engage, and develop SPE members 35 years of age and younger by providing relevant technical education and networking opportunities. This committee, as with any other, should be sanctioned by the section board, reporting all monetary and programmatic activities. Study groups, young professional committees and other entities that are part of an SPE section may not adopt their own logos.
- Seek approval from the section board to begin development of a YP Committee.
- Ask the section board to appoint a Mentor Chair.
- Obtain the contact information for the young professionals in the section from the mentor chair.
- Organize an informal meeting of the section’s young professional members.
- Select or vote on YP committee members.
- Prepare a list of activities the committee wants to accomplish and the necessary budget.
- Present the budget and plan to the section board for support and approval.
- Begin planning and publicizing events and activities.
- Award Order Form – Past Section Chairperson (Word doc)
- Award Order Form – Outstanding Student (Word doc)
- Award Order Form – Section Service (Word doc)
- Broadcast Email Request Form (Word doc)
- Officer Roster Form
- Payment Options Form (Word doc)
- Sample Bylaws (Word doc)
- Sample Section Annual Report (pdf)
- University Student Scholarship Details Form (Excel doc)
- US Tax Exemption Certificate Form (pdf)