I am honored to serve as your 2016-2018 Technical Director for the Production & Operations (P&O) discipline. As the P&O Technical Director, I am responsible for ensuring the quality coverage of these topics across SPE meetings, webinars, training courses, publications, and other member services. I am always looking for suggestions on how to improve the SPE P&O community, so if you have ideas for new events, programs, conferences, or training, please feel free to contact me. I am currently a senior consulting engineer with
Barree & Associates based in Lakewood, Colorado, where I specialize in well completions, stimulation, hydraulic fracturing, and production issues. Prior to joining the company, I was an associate professor in the Petroleum Engineering Department at the Colorado School of Mines, where I still hold a part-time appointment as an Associate Research Professor.
The P&O discipline covers a wide range of topics including: artificial lift systems; well operations, optimization, and stimulation; well and reservoir surveillance and monitoring; and production chemistry and metallurgy. If your daily duties or personal interests are reflected in these topics, I encourage you to take advantage of all that the discipline and its associated resources can provide.
The SPE’s P&O discipline webpage will be your portal to P&O offerings and events for the community. I encourage you to take advantage of it in your everyday activities. Some of the features of this page are:
- Webevents: register for upcoming web events and view archives of P&O webinars previously offered.
- Review calls for papers and upcoming conferences of interest to the P&O community.
- Click on the SPE Connect link to join the P&O online community where you can review, contribute to and / or start group discussions on topics of interest in P&O topics.
In addition to the P&O information directly associated with this webpage, there are many other technology transfer opportunities you can take advantage of as a member of SPE.
- The Production & Operations Journal publishes peer reviewed papers on topics including artificial lift, downhole equipment, formation damage, workovers, and stimulation.
- org provides a variety of information on P&O topics and was created directly from SPE’s Petroleum Engineering Handbook.
- org contains a library of technical documents and journal articles for the SPE community.
I thank you for your support of and participation in SPE and look forward to hearing from and working with you for the next three years.