Flow Assurance-Managing Flow Dynamics and Production Chemistry
This course presents a holistic approach to flow assurance. The course will introduce technologies, workflows and their deployment for the identification, characterisation and management of flow impediments, such as slugging and precipitation of organic and inorganic solids. The course will present best practices and fit-for-purpose design solutions for minimising the risk of flow stoppage while transporting hydrocarbons from “Pore to Sales Meter”. The principles will be demonstrated using field examples from around the world.
- Introduce key impediments to flow, including slugging and precipitation of organic and inorganic solids, with examples from various challenging environments
- Review technologies for capturing fluid samples and characterising their PVT properties
- Define current measurement and modeling approaches for characterising production-chemistry impediments, such as asphaltenes, paraffin waxes, hydrates and inorganic scales
- Introduce fluid flow and heat transfer concepts and their relationship in precipitation of organic and inorganic solids
- Demonstrate the value of a systematic and holistic flow assurance program for production systems and operations, using case studies from various field locations around the globe
Why You Should Attend
Assuring unimpeded flow from the reservoir to the refinery has game changing impact on field development. Unnecessary investments can be avoided, when engineers are able to characterise and understand the fluid phase behavior controlled by the flow dynamics and production chemistry in wellbores and flow lines.
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for engineers and chemists in the upstream and downstream segments of the petroleum industry. This course will also provide department, asset and technology managers with an appreciation of the risks, challenges and solutions for free flowing hydrocarbon product.
A basic understanding of petroleum production engineering, chemistry and project management.
0.8 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) will be awarded for this 1-day course.
- If you cancel before 14 September 2016, you will receive a full refund less USD 100.
- If you cancel after 14 September 2016, you will not be eligible for a refund.
- No refund will be given if a registered delegate fails to attend the training course.
- SPE must receive cancellation requests in writing by 14 September 2016, by fax on +971.4.457.3164, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Abul Jamaluddin is the Founder and President of Reservoir Fluid Solutions Advisory. He has over 26 years of industry experience with operators and the service industry. Previously, he worked for Noranda Technology Center, Hycal Energy Research Laboratory Services and Schlumberger. His responsibilities included business development and operations management in Americas, Middle East and Asia. Over the years he established five world-class fluid analyses and flow assurance fluid characterization laboratory services around the world. He developed new client bases and businesses with proven track record of converting innovation into cash flow. Entered and achieved significant market penetration with new technologies in the US, the Middle East, South America and South East Asia. He earned his Ph.D. from the University of Calgary, Canada in 1990.
Over the years in upstream oil and gas service sector he had extensive hands on experience in resolving complex flow assurance issues (asphaltene, wax and hydrate); designed optimum well-testing, formation testing, sample collection and analysis program; designed and implemented gas-injection as an enhanced-oil recovery (EOR) process; developed acid gas management strategy, optimized thermal and non-thermal heavy-oil production operations; developed and deployed innovative formation damage treatment technologies; deployed real-time production management strategy. Dr. Jamaluddin also created competency matrices and training program related to unconventional plays. He also architected capability development program for fresh college graduates and mid-career hires.
He is a co-inventor of eight patented processes and co-authored 100+ technical papers. He received three Best Technical Paper awards from GPA and CIM. He is an editor of SPEJ Production and Operations. He chaired IQPC conference, SPE Forums and ATWs. Dr. Jamaluddin was named the SPE Distinguished Lecturer for the 2004 – 2005 season and the SPE Distinguished Member in 2012.