Overview of SAGD Analytical Models and Their Assumptions and Limitations
This 1-day course is an introduction to Butler assumptions and mathematical principles and its limitations and also briefly discusses other studies which address steam assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) oil production and SOR evaluation. In this course there will be examples using Excel spreadsheets.
The following topics will be covered:
- SAGD Operation: The course starts with short definition of SAGD process and how different stage of it will be operated.
- SAGD Heat Transfer: Heat-transfer mechanisms are pivotal to the SAGD process. In this section different temperature models and their consideration with respect to conduction and convection are discussed:
- Butler Temperature Model
- Sharma Gates Convection Model
- Irani and Ghannadi Convection Model
- Butler Production Model: The derivation of oil production using Butler is discussed. Finally assumptions in “Original Butler model”, TANDRAIN and LINDRAIN models will be discussed and evaluated:
- Butler Plateau Model (i.e., “Original Butler model”, TANDRAIN and LINDRAIN)
- Butler Ramp-up Model
- Discussion on Steam Interface Velocity in “Original Butler model”, TANDRAIN and LINDRAIN models, and its comparison to field data.
- m exponent factor discussion
- SOR discussion: Heat conservation concept and the basis of different SOR analytical models are presented:
- Reis SOR Model
- Edmunds and Peterson (2007)
- Miura and Wang (2012) Model
- At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understanding heat transfer in SAGD operation.
- Understanding limitations of Butler and other analytical models.
- Assumptions made in SAGD analytical models.
- Optimizations made in forecasting models.
Introductory to Intermediate
Laptop with Excel installed
Most thermal operators are highly dependent on analytical models for their forecasting on both oil production and SOR predictions. This course briefly discusses limitations and assumptions made on different models and provides a good understanding on different models and how to modify these models.
Who Should Attend
Reservoir and Production Engineers that are involved in forecasting and evaluation of SAGD projects. This is a fundamental course for Reservoir Engineers new to Thermal Operation.
0.8 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) will be awarded for this 1-day course.