Research and Development Committee Position
Deliverables and Expectations
- Actively participate in meetings and conference calls to develop strategies for meeting committee goals.
- Volunteer to assist in the implementation of committee projects, such as developing articles on R&D for SPE publications or websites, serving on the program committee for the R&D Conference, serving on the Board of the R&D technical section, and other committee initiatives.
Qualifications and Experience
- Interest in facilitating R&D within the E&P industry.
- Knowledge of and work experience in R&D within an oil company, service company, university, or research institute.
Expected Time Commitment
- Attend 2 meetings each year (one at SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition and another at a location selected by the Chairman). These meetings normally last 2 to 3 hours.
- Participate in 1-hour conference calls every 6 to 8 weeks between meetings.
- Participation in implementing at least 1 committee initiative during the year. Time required will depend on the activity.
About the committee
The committee will identify, encourage, facilitate, and help global R&D activities that will provide needed technology for future use of petroleum engineers. Specific functions include:
- Provide an educated long-term vision of the industry's R&D needs.
- Provide a forum/system where current R&D needs of the industry are collected and communicated to research organizations.
- Provide a forum/system where R&D capabilities of academic and research institutions are described and shown to potential sponsors.
- Sponsor face to face meetings where industry, academia and government research organizations can exchange information to facilitate matching owners of problems with those who have the ability to solve them.
- Involve government funding agencies in committee activities.
- Work with SPE program committees and Executive Editors of SPE journals to increase acceptance of R&D-type papers.
- Develop an R&D web page on SPE.org to function as a catalyst for disseminating information about R&D activities in the industry.
The committee is composed of 10 to 15 members, representing the society's 6 technical areas, appointed by the President-elect for3-year terms. The chairman is appointed by the President-elect.