Student Development Committee Position
Deliverables and Expectations
- Attend bi-monthly teleconferences.
- Cast preliminary evaluation and final ballot for Outstanding Student Chapter Award.
- Deliberate, as needed, on special cases pertaining to the Student Paper Contest rules.
Qualifications and Experience
- Preferred previous experience as the Section Board Student Chapter Liaison.
- Personal interest in developing the newest members of the industry.
Expected Time Commitment
- 1 hour bi-monthly teleconference.
- Approximately 20 hours deliberating on Outstanding Student Chapter Award during the month of May/June.
About the committee
- Recommends student programs to be initiated at the Society level and works with staff members to implement approved programs.
- Encourages SPE sections to develop active student relations programs with student chapters in their areas.
- Assists student chapters with the development of programs and counsels them on operating problems.
- Develops, implements, and monitors the following Society programs and activities as approved by the SPE Board.
- Student Chapter Support for Technical Development Program.
- Student Paper Contests
- SPE Outstanding Student Chapter Awards
- Student Programs at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition
The committee is composed of 15 members. New members shall be appointed each year by the SPE President-elect for 3-year terms. The immediate past chairman shall also serve as a member of the committee. At least 1, but not more than 3, members of the committee shall be from the academic community. At least 1 member of the committee shall be a Young Professional, 35 years old or younger. The chairman is appointed by the President-elect, usually from those persons who will be serving their final year on the committee. A member of the SPE Education and Accreditation Committee serves as an ex-officio member of the committee.