✉ | email@example.com
How to Prepare an Effective Award Nomination
Why Take the Time?
- Preparing an effective nomination is the key to presenting the accomplishments of a candidate to the award judges.
- SPE Awards are very competitive! Award committees review many excellent candidates.
- Committee members may not know your candidate.
- You must communicate to the committee using the nomination. Writing is important.
Why is Writing Important?
- Award committees rely on concise and complete nominations.
- Well written nominations allow committee members to use their time effectively.
- Poorly prepared nominations will not highlight the technical or service accomplishments of your candidate.
- You must communicate effectively to give your candidate the best chance in a very competitive pool.
Keys to a Good Nomination
A best practices document is available to assist members in creating a good nomination. Key points are:
- Start early – The call for nominations begins in September
- Research the award criteria and candidate’s accomplishments
- Write a well-documented argument
- Complete required fields in the nomination form
- Request letters of support
- Submit by the deadline
Review Award Criteria
You will find the information for each award at www.spe.org/awards. Awards fall into three categories:
- Major Awards – International level only
- Service Awards
- Technical Awards
Select the Appropriate Award
Think about categories and your candidate:
- Scope - international or regional?
- Major, technical, or service?
- Technical discipline and sub discipline?
- Current professional member of SPE?
- Age? For young professional and Uren Awards
Who is Not Eligible?
- You. You cannot nominate yourself
- SPE Board of Directors
- Award Committee Members (nominated award only)
- Current and for 2 years after service
- Honorary Members
- Members ordinarily resident in countries sanctioned by the US and EU
- Student Members
Complete a Nomination Form
- Go to the www.spe.org/awards to find links to the nomination forms.
- You must log in using your SPE email address and password.
- Use the login help link or contact SPE Customer Service if you do not know your login information.
- Select the award
- Search for your candidate using their full name OR email address.
- Enter all required information on the form.
- Request letters of support.1 is required, up to 6 are permitted
- You must submit to complete the nomination before the deadline. Judges will not review draft nominations
- Write a concise, one-sentence statement or citation explaining why the candidate should receive the award. (required)
- Provide specific examples of the candidate’s work that support the award criteria (required)
- Justification must include specific examples that support the award requirements.
- This is your opportunity to communicate the best qualifications of your candidate to the judges.
- Colleagues familiar with the candidate’s work can provide letters in support of the nomination.
- Letters should contain specific examples that support the award requirements.
- One letter is required, up to 6 are allowed.
Meet the Deadline
- The call for nominations begins in September.
- All SPE award nominations must be received by
- International – 15 February.
- Regional – 1 March.
- Attachments deadline is 10 additional days to accommodate last minute nominations.
Regional to International Transition
- Regional technical and service award recipients become candidates for the equivalent international awards in the next year if the following conditions are met:
- The nominator agrees
- The Regional Director agrees
- The candidate is fully eligible for the international equivalent award
- Regional nominators should use the same level of documentation required for international awards.
- International award selection committees may choose not to review incomplete or inadequate nominations.
Nominations are Confidential
- All SPE Award nomination materials are confidential.
- SPE staff can only provide the name of the candidate, the nominator, and the award.
- Members cannot review nomination forms or support letters they did not provide.
- Candidates cannot review the nomination.
SPE Awards Program Manager