SPE Awards and Recognition Manager
☎ | +1.972.952.9370
How to Prepare an Effective Award Nomination
Why take the time?
- Preparing an effective nomination is the key to presenting the accomplishments of a candidate to the award committee
- SPE Awards are very competitive! Award committees review many excellent candidates.
- International committees may not know your candidate.
- You must communicate to the committee using the nomination. Writing is important.
Why is writing important?
- Award committees rely on concise and complete nominations
- Well written nominations allow committee members to use their time effectively
- Poorly prepared nominations will not highlight the technical or service accomplishments of your candidate
- You must communicate effectively to give your candidate a good chance
Keys to a Good Nomination
A best practices document is available to assist members in creating a good nomination. Key points are:
- Start early - The call for nominations begins in November
- Research the criteria and candidate
- Write a well documented argument
- Complete nomination form
- Request endorsements (international only)
- Submit by the deadline
Review Award Criteria
Awards fall into three categories:
- Membership Designations
- Honorary and Distinguished Membership
- Professional & Service Awards
- Service to SPE and to the public
- Technical Awards
- Based on SPE technical disciplines and sub disciplines
Select the Appropriate Award
- Global or regional?
- Technical or service?
- Technical discipline and sub discipline?
- Current professional member of SPE?
Who is Not Eligible?
- You cannot nominate yourself
- SPE Board of Directors
- Award Committee Members (nominated award only)
- Current and for 2 years after service
- Honorary Members
- Members ordinarily resident in countries sanctioned by the US and EU
- Student Members
Complete a Nomination Form
- Go to the www.spe.org/awards to find links to the forms.
- You must log in using your SPE email address and password.
- Use the login help link or contact SPE Customer Service if you do not know your login information.
- Find your candidate.
- Search using candidate’s full name or email address.
- Enter all required information on the form.
- You must submit to complete the nomination.
- Write a concise, one-sentence statement explaining why the candidate should receive the award. (required)
- Provide specific examples of the candidate’s work that support the award criteria(required)
- Justification must include specific examples that support the award requirements.
- This is your opportunity to communicate the best qualifications of your candidate to the judges.
Provide Documentation (For international awards only)
- Job experience
- Company affiliations
- Licenses and certifications
- Organization membership
Optional Documentation (For international awards only)
- Major Accomplishments
- Public Service
- A list of the five publications that represents the candidate’s best work
- Colleagues familiar with the candidate’s work can provide letters in support of the nomination.
- Letters should contain specific examples that support the award requirements.
- Letters are highly recommended, but not required.
Nominations are Confidential
- All SPE Award nomination materials are confidential.
- SPE staff can only provide the name of the candidate, the nominator, and the award.
- Members cannot review nomination forms or support letters they did not provide.
- Candidates cannot review the nomination.
Meet the Deadline
- The call for nominations begins in September.
- All SPE award nominations and letters of support must be received by 15 February.
- All regional award nominations must be received by 1 March.
- Regional technical and service award recipients become candidates for international awards in the following year.
- Regional nominators should use the same level of documentation required for international awards.
- Additional letters of recommendation may be submitted for international consideration.
- International award selection committees may choose not to review incomplete or inadequate nominations.
SPE International Awards Program