All times Mountain Standard Time (UTC -7)
Monday, April 19
This 1-day course is an introduction to thermodynamics and pressure-volume-temperature (PVT) and tuning parameters to fit laboratory data. Different analytical models for oil rate predictions such as Butler-Mokrys (1989) and Dunn-Nenniger-Rajan (1989) models will be discussed.
- Introduction to thermodynamics and pressure-volume-temperature (PVT): basic law such as: Clausius-Clapeyron Equation, Dalton's law, Henry's Law and Raoult’s law are explained and practical examples such as temperature reduction in chamber due to NCG injection, and temperature reduction at Azeotropic point in ES-SAGD process will be solved numerically.
- Pure Solvent Modelling: processes such as VAPEX and Nsolv will be explained, and different theories explaining the pure solvent oil rates such as Butler-Mokrys (1989) and Dunn-Nenniger-Rajan (1989) models will be explained and compared to physical models. Concepts such as onset of asphaltene precipitation will be discussed.
- Steam-Solvent Modelling: ES-SAGD process will be explained and Gupta-Gittins(2012) and Rabiei–Harding–Abedi (2017) models will be discussed and numerically compared.
- Production Challenges in Solvent Operation: Liquid-pool model and concept will be explained and concern with steam trap control for Nsolv will be discussed and numerically explained.
Tuesday, April 20
Executive Vice-President, Upstream – Conventional & Integration
President & CEO
Strathcona Resources and OSUM
Executive Vice President
McDaniel & Associates
Director, Investment Banking
CIBC Capital Markets
- Round-up of Federal Environmental Legislation
- Marla Orenstein, Canada West Foundation
- Carbon Capture & the Future of Heavy Oil Development: Building & Sustaining Value Through Innovation
- Karo Afiegbe, Cenovus Energy
- Trifecta Evaluation Method
- Grant Strem, Proton Technologies
- AI 101: Practical examples and Real-World Applications of AI in Canadas Heavy Oil Sector
- Chris Fletcher, AltaML
Wednesday, April 21
- Supporting the Development of Solvent-assisted in-situ Bitumen/Heavy Oil Recovery Processes
- Haibo Huang, InnoTech Alberta
- Thermal Solvents in EOR – Gaps - Challenges and Solutions
- Petro Nakutnyy, Saskatchewan Research Council
- Contribution of DTS for SAGD Performance and DTS Best Practices and Troubleshooting
- Shirish Deshpande, Suncor & Mark Bedry, OPCON Inc.
- Testing Inflow Control Devices with Steam, Solvent and Non-Condensable Gas for Improving the Efficiency of Alberta Bitumen Recovery
- Lyle Burke, CNRL & Daniel Booy, C-FER Technologies
- Long Lake Monobore Drilling: Learnings and Results
- Bulat Shagaleev, CNOOC International
- Hangingstone Restart- Life After 5 Months Offline
- Tyson Thorne, Athabasca Oil Corporation
- Marten Hills Clearwater Deep Dive
- Mark Pascal, GLJ Ltd.