The KNTU Chapter wish to invite other SPE student members to participate in their International Oil & Gas Forum, which will take place on April 16-17, 2011. The organization of Annual Forum has become a tradition for the chapter.
Address: Kazakh National Technical University named after K.I. Satbayev; 22 Satbayev Str., Almaty, the Republic of Kazakhstan.
For more information, or if you want to attend, visit our official website www.kntu-spe.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Forum’s objectives include:
- The study and analysis of the development of the global petroleum industry.
- Discussion of students’ ideas on science and technical decisions for oil and gas exploration, production, refining, transportation and marketing development.
- Interaction between experienced professionals of oil and gas industry and students.
The Forum will contain:
- Guest presentations about the latest technologies of the industry brought by leading engineers of major companies.
- The Round Table with participation of companies’ representatives, University officials and students.
- Role Game
- “Oil Games”: Petroleum Engineering intellectual contest
- Paper contest
- Technical Sessions: training, seminars and lectures by professionals
- Petroleum Party
SPE holds ten regional student paper contests allowing students at the undergraduate, master’s, and doctorate level to showcase their skills and research, competing against other students from their region for the opportunity to participate in the international student paper contest, held during the Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition.
The SPE Canadian Regional Student Paper Contest is scheduled for 15 June 2011 at University of Regina. All current SPE student members located in the Canadian region are invited to participate. The winners will travel to the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition in Denver to compete against students from other regions in the International Student Paper contest.
- Paper submission deadline – 15 May 2011 Continue reading
The University of Tulsa chapter has submitted a lot of activity reports to us recently. Here’s a highlight of their 2011 achievements so far:
Engineering week – the chapter held a “Middle School Open House” where students from Tulsa school visited the University and toured the different aspects of engineering available to them. The chapter had a booth set up with a few hands on activities and educated the students about the roles of petroleum engineers.
Tulsa University Service Day – Chapter members visited the Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals (SCPA) to volunteer their services. The Students spent their day shoveling gravel and transporting it to the animal pens to provide the animals with a better environment.
Lunch and Learn – The chapter’s last Lunch and Learn covered the benefits of continuing on with SPE after graduation into SPE Young Professionals and the SPE Mid-Continent region. These benefits included career guidance, networking, professional events, and numerous links to knowledge from the spe.org. The presentations were given by Lauren Silverman from Baker Hughes and Mark Bozeck from Frac Tech. Lunch was provided by SPE YP and Mid-Cont, and drinks were provided by University Of Tulsa SPE.
About 200 members of the UPES Chapter were fortunate to have Alain Labastie (2011 SPE president), Waleed Refray (SPE Managing Director – Middle East, North Africa and India) and Manav Kanwar (Secretary, SPE Indian Council) at the launch of their magazine “ENERGY ERA”. The visit also coincided with the UPES SPE FEST 2011.
The guests later planted saplings in the University campus as a symbol of environmental awareness, before attending a dinner hosted by the University and Section in honor of the SPE President.
The PETRONAS student chapter recently organized and held an “Education and Exposure Week”. The main objectives of this program were to:
- Cultivate and foster the interest and awareness of the oil and gas industry among the UTP student community.
- Promote the Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS student chapter.
- Provide a platform for experienced personnel in the oil & gas industry to share their experiences and knowledge with students
The week resulted in over 270 students signing up to be members of the student chapter.
Guest Speaker Ms Zahidah Bt Mohd Zaid from PETRONAS Research Private Limited was invited to give a talk on “Enhanced Oil Recovery.”
Although just recently established, SPE Student Chapter UACCM has come out running very strong! Their student members of the chapter
- were recognized at an event discussing Well Control-Current Trends and Concerns with speaker Odon Simoneaux.
- participated in an event where Ron Walsmith presented a discussion on EPA, GHG and Methane Emissions in Gas Production and Transmission.
- participated in fundraising activities at their Student Government Association’s Fall Fest and also the Fayetteville Shale Scholarship Fund Annual Golf Tournament.
- volunteered during the American Red Cross Blood Drive.
With all these events, the team is working hard to maintain a successful excellent student chapter. Congratulations once again UACCM for being selected the March 2011 SPE Student Chapter of the Month!
The University of Ibadan Chapter successfully ran a series of three workshops at different venues (or “zones”). Overall, approximately 400 students from 10 colleges and schools participated.
The idea of the scheme was to give students an insight into the petroleum and engineering industry. The events proved to be popular with the participants.
The following Chapter members gave talks on the topics “Petroleum Engineers Make a World of Difference”, “SPE and its Benefits” and “Safety Tips”: Gbenga Abe, Tunde Awojobi, Toba Isehunwa, Demeji Adeyemi, Yinka Bamidele, Gerald Ekechukwu, Rufus Oluwaseyi and Victor Oyebokun.
The program also included the following:
- Quiz Competition for participating schools
- Question and Answer Session
- Award of Certificate of Participation
- Presentation of a short drilling video
Members of the TSU Student Chapter made a short film to promote the Annual Conference titled “Modern Technologies for the Oil and Gas Industry of West Siberia.” The conference will take place in April 2011 at the West Siberian Innovation Center of Oil and Gas. The film covered general information about the conference and information on the paper contest. The Chapter felt it was a good way to attract new members and raise interest in the event from other chapters. They are promoting the event as a place for young professionals and students to share experiences and ideas.
They were welcomed by the staff and management of NPDC. The Chapter was then taken on a tour of the site, and learned the specifics and in-depth details on how the flow station is run and managed. Continue reading
Obiz Ltd gave handbooks to the SPE Mehran Chapter. The Chapter Officers decided to give these books to the Institute of Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering as reference books, so that other students could benefit. Continue reading