The PetroBowl® Championship takes place each year at our SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition. Five teams are selected from each of the six Super Regions managed by the Regional Directors and workgroups. These teams will be invited to the PetroBowl Championship in addition to the two finalists from the previous year.
All SPE Chapters that wish to participate in the PetroBowl Championship need to participate in their regional qualifier, to find out which PetroBowl Region you are in please view the Petrobowl Regions Map. Details of Regional Qualifiers and how to apply for them are confirmed information will be posted on our Regional Qualifiers page.
Changes to the Program
Each year the Championship contest is reviewed by the Young Member Engagement Committee (YMEC) to consider new improvements to the contest structure. In 2017 several key changes were made to the PetroBowl® program which remain in effect.
YMEC will endeavour to make any changes as early as possible to allow teams ample time to prepare, however further updates may be made prior to the contest. All teams will be asked to confirm their understanding of the final rules and regulations before the contest. Full details on the 2018 Rules and Regulations can be found on this webpage.
Key updates to the Petrobowl Program:
- Teams that qualify to the PetroBowl® Championship will consist of 32 teams in total.
- Championship teams will be selected though Regional Qualifiers. Five teams will be selected from each PetroBowl® Super Region. In addition the finalists (1st and 2nd Place) from the previous year’s Championship will automatically qualify.
- How regions select their five teams will be determined by the Regional Directors who represent the areas within each PetroBowl® Super Region.
- No teams will receive funding from SPE International to support their travel, attendance, or participation in Regional or Championship games.
- Regional Qualifiers may vary in structure and rules compared to the Championship.
- Multiple contests may be hosted within a PetroBowl Region, however this will not impact the number of qualifying positions available for each PetroBowl Super Region.
- Each regional selection process will be arranged by a local workgroup to develop these contests based on the facilities available.
- With each region running qualifying games independently, no seeding will be considered for the generation of the Championship bracket.
For any questions about the changes to the program please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All questions are sourced through verified source materials and are created and maintained by SPE members. Recording, sharing or using PetroBowl® question sets is not allowed and is considered cheating. Any Members who are caught recording or redistributing questions may disqualify their Chapter from participation in the PetroBowl Program.
If you are a SPE Professional Member (no student members permitted) and want to submit your questions for use in our games please submit your question to the database here.
Tips for Preparing for the Competition
PetroBowl questions must be verified by reliable sources. Questions can cover any SPE or Industry related topics, including historical, business or technical topics. Here is a suggested list of study materials as possible sources of questions:
Academic: Technical, Fundamentals of Petroleum Engineering
Non-Academic: Industry Statistics, History, Trivia, Current Events
PetroBowl Competition Resources