Field Developments and Technical Solutions – Marginal Fields
The various cycles which affect our oil industry have emphasized the need for detailed control of expenditure for development and production of small discoveries.
Marginal Field refers to as discoveries which have not been exploited for long, due to one or more of the following factors;
- Very small size of reserves/pool extent not being economically viable
- Lack of infrastructure in the vicinity and want of profitable consumers
- Prohibitive development costs, fiscal levies and technological constraints
However; should technical or economic conditions change, such a field may become commercial field. Marginal fields have several parameters that affect them. This includes environmental concerns, political stability, access, remoteness and, of course, the price and price stability of the produced gas/liquids.
This course will describe parts of unconventional methods to develop the marginal fields which mainly focus on innovative methods and new technology in developing those marginal fields.
- Recognize production and reservoir characteristics of marginal fields
- Understand the appropriate use of improved recovery methods (IOR)
- Identify under-performing wells or field areas and recommend appropriate intervention
- Determine the "upside potential" of a field, distinguishing between incremental reserves and reserve acceleration
- Describe the unconventional methods of developing marginal fields
- Describe all new technologies applied on the marginal fields
Who Should Attend
- Petroleum/Reservoir Engineers
- Reservoir Geologist
- Surface Production/Facility Engineers
- Oil & Gas company Executives
- You will gain an understanding of marginal fields
- Learn reserve definitions and justifications for field developments
- Learn about new technology needed for marginal field developments
- Cover production optimization methods
- Receive the overview of the latest in IOR/new technology for marginal tields
- Study case studies and new technology applications
- Learn how to handle unconventional reservoirs
- Learn new technology applications in UR
- Gain a better understanding to the factors that influence offshore platforms installation
- Go over types of offshore platforms installations
- Will learn the environment impacts on offshore platforms installations and mitigation plans
- Will leave being able to describe the applied cost types/contractor’ offers for offshore platform installation
- Will receive an overview of offshore platforms cost elements
- Will learn about methods of analyzing the installation contractor cost offers
- Go over planning for successful platform installations
- Conclusions and Best practices for marginal field developments
- Review case studies for new technology applications in marginal fields
4 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) will be awarded for this 5-day course.
Dr. Ahmed Aly is the Chairman of TPS (Technical Petroleum Services–International Consulting Company with offices in Cairo, Denver, Doha and Muscat). He is a well-recognized professional in E&P industry and has over Twenty Eight years of experience in Marginal field Development and Operations. Dr. Aly worked on marginal fields in North America (US land), Egypt and Oman.
He gained International experience during his successful career with Schlumberger and his last role before joining TPS was the Marketing and Technical Director for Schlumberger Data & Consulting Services for Europe, Caspian and Africa at the HQ in Paris, France.
Dr. Aly, holds a B.Sc. in Geophysics from Cairo University, B.Sc., M.Sc. and a Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering from Texas A&M University and a Diploma of Strategic marketing from Harvard Business School. He was an Associate professor at the American University in Cairo.