The SPE Board of Directors has revised its structure, accepting recommendations from a task force that studied its geographical and technical makeup. Board membership will be reduced from 27 to 19 under this revision. Changes to the board structure will be phased in over the next 3 years as the terms of current board members end.
At the March 2016 board meeting, the task force was established to evaluate the size and composition of the board to ensure it reflected emerging demographics from a regional and technical focus perspective. Other key drivers were ensuring that the board retains a strategic focus (smaller boards are more strategic) and cost containment. The task force made the following recommendations, which were approved by the SPE Board of Directors at its October meeting during the 2017 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition:
- The past SPE president will cover the current vice president of finance duties and the vice president role should be eliminated.
- The at-large director position will be eliminated when the current term ends.
- The technical director positions should be revised to cover completions; drilling; health, safety, and environment; production and facilities; and reservoir. The positions of director from academia and technical director for management and information should be eliminated once current terms expire.
The task force recommended that the technical directors include a representative from academia on their advisory committee to ensure that the concerns and needs of academia are heard. It also asked the current management and information technical director to work with the other technical directors to determine how analytics can be built into their respective programs since this is an important emerging focus of the industry. Management and information will remain as an SPE discipline, but will not have a representative on the board.
- The regional director roles should be:
- Asia and Pacific 1
- Asia and Pacific 2
- Latin America and Caribbean
- Middle East 1
- Middle East 2
- North America 1
- North America 2
- North America 3
- Russia and Caspian
The board decided that the regions with multiple representatives will not have positions tied to specific geography or sections within the region. The Nominating Committee will be entrusted with ensuring that there is geographic diversity among the individuals chosen for the board from that region.
The board has requested that SPE section officers in Mexico determine whether their country should be part of the North American region or the Latin America and Caribbean region.