Petroleum Engineering Certification
- Application: USD 150
- Annual Renewal: USD 40
See review and exam schedules
Renew your SPE Certification
- Get recognized for your compliance with industry standards
- Demonstrate your commitment to the profession
- Add to your technical knowledge
- Have an undergraduate engineering degree from a recognized institution.
- Take an exam to measure your level of engineering fundamentals and ability to solve practical engineering problems.
[The exam may be waived if you have passed a written competency examination to practice in petroleum engineering as a registered, licensed, chartered, or professional engineer. University exit exams are not considered valid for the waiver.]
- Demonstrate at least 4 years of experience and training in engineering.
- Be a member in good standing with the Society of Petroleum Engineers.
- Maintain your certification by completing 16 hours of continued professional development and education, as well as your annual renewal fee.
View a list of engineers who have successfully completed the requirements and exam »
View a list of certified, licensed or chartered petroleum engineers »
Fill out the following forms to complete your application:
Request SPE Certified Petroleum Engineer Icon
The icon is available to members who have met the requirements to become an SPE Certified
Important Notice: Effective 7 October 2012, candidates that fail the first attempt on the exam must wait 12 months before a second attempt. Failing the second exam attempt, candidates must wait three years before the third attempt. Candidates will only be allowed to attempt the exam three times.