Perforating for Well Performance
Disciplines: Completions | Production and Operations
FastTrack to a broader understanding of almost all aspects of perforating including types of charges, types of guns, phasing, shot density, penetration, hole size, gun initiation on wireline, TCP, slickline, perforating safety, API in perforating, perforating systems and techniques for different completions and conditions.
- General Introduction to perforating
- Types of charges
- Types of guns
- Phasing, shot density, penetration, hole size
- Gun initiation on wireline, TCP, slickline
- Perforating safety
- API in perforating
- Measure perforator performance in simulated downhole conditions to help select the best perforation system for the reservoir conditions
- Perforating safety
- Perforating tools
- Perforation systems and techniques for different well completions and reservoir conditions
- Conveyance – everything from wireline thru TCP to Completion Conveyed guns
- Perforation for stimulation – in carbonates and sandstones
- Perforation for sand control – from Frac Pack to Gravel Pack
- Perforating for hard rock frac
- Perforating for Shale Frac
- Propellants in perforation and well stimulation
- The role of perforation gun design to minimize near wellbore damage and optimize flow performance in different well and reservoir conditions
- Gun and well bore dynamics – underbalance, overbalance, extreme overbalance, on balance, dynamic underbalance, dynamic overbalance
- The role of perforation pills and perforation fluids in minimizing formation damage
- Selecting the right type of perforating pill or perforating fluid is selected, based on reservoir type, well control and temperature
- Dynamic perforation modelling
- The use of dynamic perforating models – examples
- Flow modelling for perforation selection
- The use of flow modelling to optimize perforation system selection – examples
Intermediate to Advanced
Optimize your perforating projects with a deeper understanding of how to apply tried and tested technology to your wells.
Operator engineers and service company technical sales engineers.
Students must bring their own laptops for this course.
0.8 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) are awarded for this 1-day course.
All cancellations must be received no later than 14 days prior to the course start date. Cancellations made after the 14-day window will not be refunded. Refunds will not be given due to no show situations.
Training sessions attached to SPE conferences and workshops follow the cancellation policies stated on the event information page. Please check that page for specific cancellation information.
SPE reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule courses at will. Notification of changes will be made as quickly as possible; please keep this in mind when arranging travel, as SPE is not responsible for any fees charged for cancelling or changing travel arrangements.
We reserve the right to substitute course instructors as necessary.
Mark Brinsden is President of Vektor Energy Inc. and until recently was Principal Technical Expert and Team Lead - Perforating Technology for Shell’s global business. Prior to joining Shell, he worked at Schlumberger, Prodrill and Expro. He received a BSc from Edinburgh University and has been working in industry for 39 years.
He is the Chair of the API SC19B perforating committee, co-founder and President of the International Perforating Forum, The Journal of the International Perforating Forum, as well as www.perforators.org an industry group dedicated to the advancement of perforating technology.
He is very active with the SPE, as Associate Editor of SPE Drilling & Completions, he was also Chair of the SPE Energy Information Committee and is a member of both the SPE Completions Advisory Committee and SPE Distinguished Lecturer Selection Committee. He was an SPE Distinguished Lecturer on Perforating in 2014/15. He has presented numerous papers at conferences and provides mentorship to young engineers around the world.
Mark received the 2018 Perforating Industry Award for contributions to the industry and awarded SPE Distinguished Member in 2019. He is also a Fellow of the Energy Institute. Mark is an enthusiastic inventor with several patents in particular in perforating and energetics and has developed new gun systems.
Other courses by this instructor
21 - 22 Feb 2022
Held in conjunction with SPE International Conference and Exhibition on Formation Damage Control