Establish a Student Chapter
SPE has student chapters around the world that provide an operating framework for society activities at a university level. Each student chapter is sponsored by a local, professional section and has the support of their university department.
Applications for new student chapters are reviewed three times a year. Please refer to the eligibility requirements below and the student chapter operations manual before you begin the application process.
- At least 25 student members on the petition must be enrolled in a three-year degree program related to the upstream oil and gas industry or a two-year degree specific to petroleum engineering.
- At least one set of students having graduated from the university with the specified degree.
- A minimum of 20 student members who are not graduating within 12 months of the establishment date.
- Officers listed on the petition should not be graduating within 12 months of the date of establishment.
- New student chapters must agree with standard operating regulations as provided by SPE. If alternative versions are preferred, these should be submitted to SPE for approval.
- Professional SPE member on faculty who is willing to serve as the student chapter advisor.
- Support from local professional section of SPE.
To apply, a complete SPE Student Chapter Petition (Word doc.) must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 February, June, or October. Students are encouraged to work closely with staff before the deadline to ensure all petition details are correct.
Within 45 days of the submission deadline, the petitioning officer will be notified of approval. Until officially approved, students may not operate using the SPE name.