Student Paper Contest
SPE coordinates 10 regional student paper contests at the undergraduate, master's and doctorate level. The students compete against other students from their region for the opportunity to participate in the International Student Paper Contest, held during the Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition (ATCE).
Currently, the 11 regional contests are recognized by the Society: Canada, Russia & Capsian, Europe, Gulf Coast North America, Rocky Mountain/Mid-Continent/Eastern North America, Latin American & Caribbean, Western North America, Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and South Asia.
- Paper Contest Schedule
- Regional Paper Contest Winners
- International Paper Contest Winners
- Manual for Conducting a Paper Contest
- Judges' Nomination Form
- Judges' Scoring Form
- Moderator's Score Card
- Regional Student Paper Contest Notification Form
- Regional Paper Pre-Contest Declaration Form
- Student Regional Contest Application Form
To enter a Regional Contest
You must first submit a paper to the contest in your Region. After the Regional contests, SPE will send the winners of each region to the International Student Paper Contest held at ATCE.
- You must be SPE member in good standing at the time of application.
- You must be enrolled as full-time student (according to your University's rules)
- Check the upcoming contest schedule for a chapter in your region and contact the host chapter.
- Current Sanction Laws apply to the Student Paper Contest Program. If you are unsure if you are eligible to participate as a result of the sanctions, please email email@example.com.
- Please note you may only participate in the contest category that equates to your current or most recent level of education. Please see the Student Paper Contest Manual for more details or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prepare for the Contest
- Get information on writing a good paper
- Learn how to make an effective presentation of my paper
- Download the publications style guide
Contact your Faculty Advisor or Chapter President for additional information. If you are not a member of a student chapter, contact email@example.com and ask about how you can participate.
Learn About International Paper Contest at ATCE
The SPE International Student Paper Contest takes place during the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition. The winners of the 10 regional student paper contests are invited to participate in the international contest by submitting the winning regional paper to be included in the conference proceedings at ATCE. The winners should follow the submission format of the conference and judges will select winners based on the same procedures used in the regional contests.
Traveling to ATCE
We will pay up to USD 3,000 for contest participants to travel to ATCE when you book through the SPE Student Activities office.
The travel allowance includes expenses for transportation, hotel accommodations, and conference registration. Funds will not cover meal expenses and incidentals.
For additional funding, you can also contact:
- Your student chapter about the SPE travel allowance
- The petroleum engineering department of your school
- The sponsoring SPE section of your chapter
- Your employer