Cedric K. Ferguson Medal
The Cedric K. Ferguson Medal recognizes professional achievement in petroleum engineering. The Medal is presented for the paper written by a Society member age 35 and under at the time the paper was peer approved that is judged best by the award committee.
About Cedric Keith Ferguson
Cedric Keith Ferguson died in 1953 at the age of 31. Although recognition of greatness had not yet been received, Ferguson had gained both technical and professional success at the time of his death. His accomplishments in the brief period following completion of his formal education at Stanford University and the University of California were an indication of a brilliant future.
He was project leader of drilling and well completions for California Research Corporation at the time of his death. His activities in civic and professional groups included secretary of the Pacific Petroleum Chapter of the Petroleum Branch of AIME, and chairperson of the Junior Group of the chapter. He was a member of Toastmasters Club and was president of the Young Republican Club of Orange County, CA.View past recipients.
Nominations are not accepted for this program.
- For a paper to be considered, at least one author must be age 35 or under on the date on which the revised manuscript is approved and must be a member in good standing of SPE both at the time the revised manuscript is approved and at the time the Medal is presented.
- If the Medal is awarded for a paper written by more than one author, a Medal will be presented to each SPE member author age 35 and under at the time of the paper's approval member who is an SPE member in good standing both at the time the revised manuscript is approved and at the time the Medal is presented.
- Co-authors over age 35 who are SPE members in good standing both at the time the revised manuscript is approved and at the time the Medal is presented receive the Cedric K. Ferguson Certificate stating that he/she is a co-author of the paper for which the Cedric K. Ferguson Medal is being awarded.
- Candidate authors must be living persons. If an author dies after 1 January in the year of presentation, and if duly selected for the award, the presentation shall be made posthumously in accordance with special procedures to be prescribed by the SPE Board of Directors. Posthumous award presentations are otherwise prohibited.
- The recipient of the Cedric K. Ferguson Medal is eligible for other SPE awards; but shall not be eligible to receive the Cedric K. Ferguson Medal in subsequent years for a different paper.
- No officer or member of the International Board of Directors of the Society shall be eligible to receive the Medal during and for a period of 24 months after the expiration of his or her term of service on the Board.
- No member of the award selection committee shall be eligible to receive the Medal while serving as a member of the award committee and for a period of 24 months after the expiration of his or her term of service on the committee.
- No member can receive the medal more than once. Members may receive the certificate more than once.
- No recipient of SPE Honorary Membership shall be eligible to receive the Medal.