Honorary Membership is the highest honor that SPE presents to an individual and is limited to 0.1% of the SPE total membership. This elite group represents those individuals who have given outstanding service to SPE or have demonstrated distinguished scientific or engineering achievements in the fields within the technical scope of SPE.
According to a resolution passed in November 1941 by the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers Board of Directors, Honorary Membership may be awarded in appreciation of outstanding service to the Institute and its Societies or in recognition of distinguished scientific or engineering achievement.View past recipients.
The conditions of eligibility are as follows:
- There shall be no limitation with respect to membership in the Society of Petroleum Engineers.
- Deceased members may not be nominated for SPE Awards. If a previously nominated candidate dies after 1 January in the year of presentation, and if duly selected for the award, the presentation shall be made posthumously in accordance with special procedures to be prescribed by the SPE Board of Directors. Posthumous award presentations are otherwise prohibited.
- Nominees for the Honorary Member Award are typically:
- SPE members who are outstanding in their fields and/or who have performed particularly noteworthy service to the petroleum engineering, mineral resources, or overall engineering profession; or
- Individuals, whether SPE members or not, whose contributions, technical and/or professional, are deemed particularly outstanding.
- No officer or member of the International Board of Directors of the Society shall be eligible to receive Honorary Membership during and for a period of 24 months after the expiration of his or her term of service on the Board.
- No member of the SPE Distinguished and Honorary Member Award Committee shall be eligible to receive Honorary Membership while serving as a member of the award committee and for a period of 24 months after the expiration of his or her term of service on the committee.
- Once awarded Honorary Membership, he or she shall be ineligible for nomination for all other society international awards; however, recipients of the SPE Honorary Member Award automatically become Distinguished Members if they are not already elected.