Establish a Student Chapter
SPE has student chapters around the world that provide an operating framework for society activities at a university level. Each student chapter is sponsored by a local, professional section and has the support of their university department.
Petitions for new student chapters are reviewed three times a year: 15 February, June, and October. Please refer to the Student Chapter Resource Center to learn more about operating a student chapter and eligibility requirements listed below.
- At least 25 student members on the petition must be enrolled in at least a two-year degree program related to the energy industry. Programs should be equivalent to a bachelor’s or a postgraduate degree.
- The degree programs for the members should be well-established programs.
- A minimum of 25 student members who are not graduating within 12 months of the establishment date.
- Officers listed on the petition must be enrolled in a qualifying degree program and should not be graduating within 12 months of the date of establishment.
- New student chapters must agree with standard operating regulations as provided by SPE. If alternative versions are preferred, these should be submitted to SPE for approval.
- Professional SPE member on faculty who is willing to serve as the student chapter advisor.
- Support from local professional section of SPE.
The establishment petition is divided into three parts and is estimated to take at least two weeks to complete the forms after preparing in advance. Petitions open again approximately six weeks prior to each deadline.
Before beginning the petition forms, we recommend taking the following steps:
- Begin conversations with the local section and request support.
- Secure a university faculty member who will serve as faculty advisor.
- Put together a list of officers and petitioning members (names and SPE member numbers) and ensure all students have an up-to-date Member Profile.
- Draft a statement of why you want to form an SPE student chapter at your university.
- Draft your 1-year plan of activity.
If your university meets all eligibility requirements, begin a new petition here.
Other questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.