Emerging knowledge and resources on prevailing energy topics from SPE industry experts, curated exclusively for SPE members
SPE is firmly focused on the future of our industry. Here, our member experts focus on geothermal connections and opportunities in the industry. Join in the discussion of new technologies, challenges and opportunities, the latest news and developments, and resources to grow your knowledge.
Discussing New Technologies and Opportunities
Latest Geothermal News: Journal of Petroleum Technology
16 November 2023
The companies have agreed to study the development of geothermal energy in Indonesia to further the country’s goal of adding 3.3 GW of geothermal capacity by 2030.
15 November 2023
Several projects have been scrapped across the US as inflation causes project costs to soar, while projects in Costa Rica and Rotterdam move forward.
06 November 2023
An estimated $35 billion in investment is expected to pour into geothermal projects in Kenya and Ethiopia through 2050.
27 September 2023
The oil and gas industry-backed geothermal firm plans to drill up to 29 wells in southwestern Utah that will deliver electricity to the state's grid by 2026.
01 September 2023
Fervo Energy’s bet that fracturing methods can be used for geothermal power is looking like a winner.
24 August 2023
Registration is open for the SPE Europe Energy GeoHackathon, which will be held in October and November. It will be preceded by 4-week online bootcamp sessions on data science and geothermal energy, which will begin on 2 October.
- Advancing Geothermal Energy Exploration
- Offshore Co-Produced Critical Minerals and Geothermal Energy Generation
- Geothermal Production from Existing Oil and Gas Wells: A Sustainable Repurposing Model
- Geothermal Energy Basics / Education for a Sustainable Future
- Repurposing Oil & Gas Wells and Drilling Operations for Geothermal Energy Production
- Key Complex Process Couplings and Challenges in the Effective Recovery of Deep Geothermal Energy
- DEEP Geothermal Energy: A Geomechanical View
- Repurposing End-of-Life Wells for Geothermal Energy Production: An Evaluation of Mississippi Wells
- Harvesting Geothermal Energy from Produced Reservoir Fluids Eliminates CO2 Emission from Production Facility Operations
Continue the Discussion
Join your colleagues on the SPE Connect Geothermal Discussion Group
Find more resources in the Health, Safety, Environment, and Sustainability technical discipline community