Emerging knowledge and resources on prevailing energy topics from SPE industry experts, curated exclusively for SPE members
SPE is firmly focused on the future of our industry. Here, our member experts focus on methane emissions, management and the goals of net zero. Join in the discussion of new technologies, challenges and opportunities, the latest news and developments, and resources to grow your knowledge.
Latest Methane News: Journal of Petroleum Technology
Pending US Law Offers Big Boost to CO2 Storage Credits in Exchange for New Fees on Methane Emissions
09 August 2022
Using a carrot-and-stick approach, the US federal government is poised to spur the nation's oil and gas industry into doing more to combat emissions.
01 August 2022
The assumption of lower emissions from natural gas only holds true when the methane leaks and flaring are addressed. Mitigation of methane emissions offers an opportunity for the oil and gas industry to drastically reduce overall emissions that are typically reported on a CO2-equivalent basis. Some producers opt to showcase their good performance via voluntary certification programs.
01 August 2022
In response to sustained global demand, the development of gas production technology continues unabated. The chain starts with enabling production from an ever-wider range of resources, including source rock (shale), coal-seam gas, deep offshore gas, contaminated gas, and methane-hydrate sediment or by maximizing recovery from existing reservoirs by enhanced-gas-recovery schemes based on injection of nitrogen or carbon dioxide.
14 July 2022
The Oil and Gas Methane Partnership 2.0 counts more than 80 upstream companies as members, representing more than 30% of global production.
04 July 2022
Chevron assets in Texas and Colorado have earned high marks for control of methane emissions under a pilot program with Project Canary, paving the way for its sale of responsibly sourced gas.
29 June 2022
A study of a limited number of decommissioned oil and gas wells in England found no evidence of methane leaks, including four wells found to be leaking in an earlier study.
- Development of Methods for Top-Down Methane Emission Measurements of Oil and Gas Facilities in an Offshore Environment Using a Miniature Methane Spectrometer and Long-Endurance UAS
- Application of Long Endurance UAS for Top-Down Methane Emission Measurements of Oil and Gas Facilities in an Offshore Environment
- Strategy Optimization and Technology Evaluation for Oil and Gas Methane Emission Detection
- How Effective LDAR Campaigns Contribute to Minimizing Methane Emissions
- Our Industry's Journey in Measuring Methane Emissions and Where We're Going from Here
- Monitoring of Methane Emissions in Oil and Gas from Space: Matching Needs with Satellite System Capability, and Advantages of High Resolution Monitoring
- Ubiquitous Sensing Network for Continuous Monitoring and Quantification of Methane Emissions
- From Data to Actionable Insight: Monitoring Fugitive Methane Emissions at Oil and Gas Facilities Using Satellites
- Long Term, Periodic Aerial Surveys Cost Effectively Mitigate Methane Emissions
Continue the Discussion
Join your colleagues on the SPE Connect Methane Discussion Group
Find more resources in the Health, Safety, Environment, and Sustainability technical discipline community