Oil & Gas Reserves Committee
About the Committee
The committee is responsible for programs dealing with oil and gas reserves and resources matters, including reserves and resources definitions, terms, recommended practices, and standards. The committee disseminates reserves and resources information to other organizations, agencies, and companies involved in reserves matters, including cooperation with other committees and organizations in development and delivery of relevant training courses.
The Oil and Gas Reserve Committee (OGRC) typically includes twelve to sixteen SPE members (or more when deemed necessary for special projects or special skill sets) who are degreed engineers and geoscientists with 10-plus years of experience in reserves and resources estimation. Traditionally, members serve three-year terms. In addition to the Society of Petroleum Engineers, other organizations may provide OGRC observers. These observers serve as liaisons between the OGRC and the respective organization on reserves and resources matters. Observers are typically highly experienced members of similar technical societies.
OGRC Governance (pdf)
Qualifications and Experience
- Must be an SPE member.
- Must have excellent working knowledge of the specialty topic of reserves and resource estimation and preferably be a recognized industry expert on the topic.
- Must have 10+ years of oil and gas reserves experience.
Expected Time Commitment
- Attend two meetings each year at ATCE and at a location selected by the chair. Facilities to participate by phone are normally available, though physical participation is preferred. These meeting usually last three to four hours.
- Participate in conference calls of one to two hours in between meetings as needed to accomplish the goals of the committee. Normally there are two or three of these in a year.
- Participation on subcommittees requires additional time, depending on subcommittee.
Deliverables and Expectations
- Responsible for programs dealing with oil and gas reserves and resources matters, including reserves and resources definitions, terms, recommended practices, and standards.
- Disseminates reserves and resources information to other organizations, agencies, and companies involved in reserves matters, including cooperation with other committees and organizations in development and delivery of relevant training courses.
- Liaises with other organizations in efforts to achieve worldwide use of standard reserves and resources (definitions)
- Monitors activities of other organizations in the reserves and resources definition area and provides reports to the SPE Board on these matters
- Provides periodic reports to the SPE Board on oil and gas reserves and resources issues, including recommendations for revisions to SPE’s reserves and resources definitions
Steven McCants, Chairman
CC Energy Services, Inc.
Daniel Olds, Incoming Chairman
Ryder Scott Company LP
Bernard Seiller, Past Chairman
WA Dept Mines, Industry Regulation & Safety
Monica Clapauch Motta
ExxonMobil Production Co.
Miller and Lents Ltd
Texas A&M University
V I Shpilman Research Center
Sproule Associates Limited
Saudi Aramco PF&D
Oil India Ltd.
Colorado School of Mines
International Finance Corp.
Ryder Scott Company LP
Occidental Petroleum Corp.
Eric Von Lunen