EOR Polymer Flooding - Latest Updates from Screening to Implementation
This course will provide the participants with a more in-depth knowledge of:
- EOR screening and justification
- Impact on CO2 and GHG reduction of polymer flooding vs water flooding
- EOR project management
- Subsurface simulation and polymer flood design
- Polymer selection considerations, screening, and applicability
- Injection facilities considerations and design
- Polymer flood operations
The learning objectives for the course are for the participants to increase their knowledge of EOR polymer flooding by learning how to:
- Learning how to perform/evaluate a screening and build a business case for Polymer Flooding EOR
- Learn how to make the calculations on the impact of polymer flooding on CO2 and GHG reduction
- As a Reservoir Engineer with a basic knowledge of simulation, understand and learn how to simulate a polymer flood
- Evaluate and Review subsurface EOR simulation and modelling in order to support or design an EOR pilot and full field development
- Learn how to evaluate and incorporate the chemical polymer selection. Understand the applicability of various polymers in different field conditions
- Learn to understand and integrate the injection facilities design, both for on-shore and off-shore. Understand options, and selection criteria for these. Understand the integration of the injection facilities with the existing facilities if applicable
- Obtain awareness of what is involved in the polymer operations/storage logistics etc
The course is aimed at an intermediate level. It is for seasoned staff (more than 5 years' experience) with basic knowledge of Petroleum Engineering, Engineering, production chemistry, operations. It is also useful for (middle) management and as a broadening course for seasoned petroleum economists/environmentalists.
All cancellations must be received no later than 14 days prior to the course start date. Cancellations made after the 14-day window will not be refunded. Refunds will not be given due to no show situations.
Training sessions attached to SPE conferences and workshops follow the cancellation policies stated on the event information page. Please check that page for specific cancellation information.
SPE reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule courses at will. Notification of changes will be made as quickly as possible; please keep this in mind when arranging travel, as SPE is not responsible for any fees charged for cancelling or changing travel arrangements.
We reserve the right to substitute course instructors as necessary.
Jan Nieuwerf is the EOR Commercial Manager with SNF. After 30 years in the oil industry, Jan heads the commercial Enhanced Oil Recovery department in SNF polymers. His job is to supply oil companies worldwide with chemicals, engineering, service, and support to enhance and accelerate their oil developments using polymer flooding. Before this, Jan worked as an EOR project manager for an integrated global oil and gas service company (sixty employees). He has managed EOR, souring, and mature field development projects in the Middle East, Asia, and South America over those past eight years. Before that, Jan worked for 20 years with Shell, and in this capacity, he worked as a project manager with an in-depth knowledge of EOR. He is also an accredited value assurance reviewer and facilitator. Jan's approach to work combines thorough technical insight with a firm understanding of environmental impact, corporate needs, and interpersonal skills.
28 Feb 2023
Held in conjunction with International Petroleum Technology Conference (IPTC)