Education and Accreditation Committee
About the Committee
The committee implements and monitors the policies and programs concerning the petroleum engineering faculty and works with other engineering and scientific organizations to address the issues of quality and supply of engineering faculty and students.
SPE is a member society of the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Training (ABET). Members of the committee represent the society in ABET matters. The committee assesses the curriculum of petroleum engineering and makes recommendations to ensure curriculum is consistent with the needs of the petroleum industry. The committee assists ABET in recruiting, training, and assigning petroleum engineering program evaluators for university accreditation visits.
The committee comprises of 12 members, with a balance of six industry professionals and six academicians.
Qualifications and Experience
- All academic members on the committee should be petroleum engineering educators holding full-time faculty positions at an accredited engineering school offering an accredited petroleum engineering or natural gas program.
- All industry members on the committee should possess a minimum of a BS degree in engineering, preferably in petroleum engineering, and should be thoroughly familiar with current curricula and objectives of petroleum engineering education.
Expected Time Commitment
- Attendance at one physical meeting at ATCE annually.
- Additional meetings via teleconference will be held 6-8 times per year.
- Estimated time commitment per month is approximately two to four hours.
Deliverables and Expectations
- Participate in strategic discussions related to accreditation issues and petroleum engineering faculty and implement programs as required.
- Advise SPE Board on matters pertaining to future of petroleum engineering education.
- Participate in ABET evaluator training and become active in university campus accreditation visits.
- Engage in other activities as the Chair deems appropriate in the development of petroleum engineering education.
- Make recommendations to the Chair for new committee members including chair-elect.