Charles F. Rand Memorial Gold Medal
The Charles F. Rand Memorial Gold Medal is awarded for distinguished achievement in mining administration, including metallurgy and petroleum. Such achievement is marked by leadership, ethical conduct, support of innovation or administrative changes at senior management levels such that companies or industries were impacted positively during their time in such management positions.View past recipients.
The conditions of eligibility are as follows:
- There are no limitations regarding membership in the Society of Petroleum Engineers, or otherwise. All other factors being equal, it is suggested that preference be given to professional members of the Society.
- Deceased members may not be nominated for SPE Awards. If a previously nominated candidate dies after 1 January in the year of presentation, and if duly selected for the award, the presentation shall be made posthumously in accordance with special procedures to be prescribed by the SPE Board of Directors. Posthumous award presentations are otherwise prohibited.
- The winner of the Charles F. Rand Memorial Medal shall be ineligible for the Carll or Uren or McConnell Awards for a period of five years. If nominated for the other awards, nominators will be informed as to the ineligibility of the candidate. Additionally, the nominators will be required to resubmit the nominations with updated materials covering the intervening five years.
- No AIME Major Award winner is eligible to be nominated for another AIME Major Award until nine years shall have elapsed, and the nomination support package shall conspicuously reference work in a new field or significant new accomplishments in the field for which the original award was made. Thus, a recipient of the Anthony F. Lucas Medal shall be ineligible to be a candidate for the Charles F. Rand Memorial Medal for a period of nine years. The recipient of the Charles F. Rand Memorial Medal shall be ineligible for the Anthony F. Lucas Medal for a period of nine years.
- No member of the award selection committee shall be eligible to be selected for the Award while serving as a member of the award committee and for a period of 24 months after the expiration of his or her term of service on the award committee.
- No officer or member of the International Board of Directors of the Society shall be eligible to receive the Award during and for a period of 24 months after the expiration of his or her term of service on the Board.
- No recipient of SPE Honorary Membership shall be eligible to receive the award.
- The award may only be presented to an individual for truly outstanding achievement.
- Past recipients of the award are ineligible to receive it a second time.
- Self-nominated candidates are not eligible.