Distinguished Service Award
The SPE Distinguished Service Award recognizes contributions to the Society of Petroleum Engineers that exhibit such exceptional devotion of time, effort, thought, and action as to set them apart from other contributions and thereby create an indebtedness of the Society to the contributor.
The importance of this award shall be maintained by issuance only to those relatively few individuals whose contributions stand out sharply even above the excellence of the services rendered each year by several score members of the Society. However, the above does not preclude the committee of award making more than one nomination annually if it deems such action proper.View past recipients.
The conditions of eligibility for the award are as follows:
- Any professional member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers in good standing shall be eligible to receive the award.
- Deceased members may not be nominated for SPE Awards. If a previously nominated candidate dies after 1 January in the year of presentation, and if duly selected for the award, the presentation shall be made posthumously in accordance with special procedures to be prescribed by the SPE Board of Directors. Posthumous award presentations are otherwise prohibited.
- The award shall not be made to an individual for a service consisting solely of the act of funding or endowing the Society.
- No person who has been awarded the DeGolyer Distinguished Service Medal will be eligible for the SPE Distinguished Service Award.
- No officer or member of the International Board of Directors of the Society shall be eligible to receive the Award during and for a period of 24 months after the expiration of his or her term of service on the Board.
- No member of the award selection committee shall be eligible to receive the Award while serving as a member of the award committee and for a period of 24 months after the expiration of his or her term of service on the committee.
- The award may only be presented to individuals for truly outstanding achievement.
- No recipient of SPE Honorary Membership shall be eligible to receive the award.
- Self-nominated candidates are not eligible.
- Past recipients of the award are ineligible to receive it a second time.