Sustainability and Stewardship in the Oil and Gas Industry Award
The SPE Sustainability and Stewardship in the Oil and Gas Industry Award of the Society of Petroleum Engineers recognizes the outstanding efforts of individuals in the upstream oil and gas industry, in promoting and adopting the relatively new concepts of sustainable development. The award will encompass:
- Environmental sustainability, including biodiversity, water management, waste to product or energy.
- Social sustainability, including societal and community benefits and engagement, environmental justice, human rights, fair transition.
- Economic sustainability, including sustainability balance sheet, circular economy.
- Best practice and technological innovation, including circular economy, climate change, quantification of impacts and benefits, risk management, and integration of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The conditions of eligibility for the award are as follows:
- Any professional member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers in good standing shall be eligible to receive the award.
- Deceased members may not be nominated for SPE Awards. If a previously nominated candidate dies after 1 January in the year of presentation, and if duly selected for the award, the presentation shall be made posthumously in accordance with special procedures to be prescribed by the SPE Board of Directors. Posthumous award presentations are otherwise prohibited.
- No recipient of SPE Honorary Membership, the John Franklin Carll Award, Lester C. Uren Award, DeGolyer Distinguished Service Medal, or Anthony F. Lucas Gold Medal shall be eligible to receive the award.
- No officer or member of the International Board of Directors of the Society shall be eligible to receive the Award during and for a period of 24 months after the expiration of his or her term of service on the Board.
- No member of the award selection committee shall be eligible to receive the Award while serving as a member of the award committee and for a period of 24 months after the expiration of his or her term of service on the committee.
- The award may only be presented to an individual for truly outstanding achievement.
- Self-nominated candidates are not eligible.
- Past recipients of the award are ineligible to receive it a second time.