Young Member Engagement Committee
About the Committee
The Young Member Engagement Committee (YMEC) is responsible for developing and implementing programs and activities directed towards young members, including university students and young professionals (under the age of 35). The activities aim to develop technical and leadership skills, providing both peer groups with guidance and support to facilitate their career progression.
An important focus is placed on developing activities which aid in the transition from student to young professional (YP). Innovation is at the forefront and the committee makes recommendations to the Board as necessary to ensure young member programs have a continuous improvement strategy in place.
The committee also places an emphasis on communication by using various platforms and creative delivery methods to facilitate technical knowledge sharing among young members. Activities to improve industry image, encourage networking between young members and industry, and to attract young people to the industry are also supported. Members serve one year terms, renewable up to a maximum of three consecutive years.
Qualifications and Experience
- SPE Members
- Prefer previous experience on section YP committee
- Personal interest in developing university students and YPs
- Effective communication
- Experience in a leadership role, either in a professional, or volunteering environment
Note that although YMEC strives to have the majority of its members represented by YPs, this role is not exclusive to YPs.
Expected Time Commitment
- The YMEC physically meets once per year at ATCE
- Quarterly committee teleconferences and a maximum of one subcommittee teleconference each month
- Approximately one hour per week to complete action items
Deliverables and Expectations
- Take an active role within the leadership team or one of the subcommittees, so that YMEC can maintain and build on the success of the SPE young members portfolio of programs and initiatives
- Commit to mutually agreed actions and deliver upon these by the agreed deadlines
- Make a considerable effort to attend and contribute to all meetings
View YMEC Charge (pdf)