South America and Caribbean
One Year of Sustainability Is Not Enough
I cannot believe that a year has passed since I was inaugurated as SPE president in Dallas last September. My term has passed at the speed of light as I have traveled all over the world meeting our members and representing SPE at conferences and other events.
Regional Director's message
Sustainability, one of the drivers in our region, aligns with SPE’s worldwide initiative by SPE President Sami Alnuaim to ensure the oil and gas industry meets the world’s energy needs in a manner that protects the environment.
In our region, we are working diligently to meet these requirements. We are implementing the philosophy of “Citizen Engineer” to fulfill sustainable development in our communities. Together with National Oil companies (NOC) and International oil companies (IOC), we are integrating a clean thinking into our operations and processes. Our region is equipped with opportunities for members like you to be part of our sustainability challenge.
Join 2020 SPE President Shauna Noonan at SPE Co-Located Events
Registration is now open for SPE co-located events, LACPEC and the International Conference on HSE and Sustainability, 17–19 March 2020 in Bogotá, Colombia. It is a unique opportunity to grow your network and connect with 2020 SPE President Shauna Noonan and leaders from Ecopetrol, YPF, Baker Hughes, Oxy, Schlumberger, Shell, and more.
Register early and get inspired by topics that enrich your commitment and professional pride.
New HSE Technical Discipline Name
Health, Safety, and Environment technical discipline is changing its name to Health, Safety, Environment, and Sustainability. This change showcases sustainability as one of SPE’s strategic priorities and demonstrates its importance to the industry. The newly updated technical discipline icons will remain the same. Learn More.
Volunteer Translators Sought
We are looking for members who are proficient in another language to help translate glossary terms, articles, and papers from English into other languages. Opportunities include:
Help Us Keep You Informed
This web page disseminates relevant regional information to Mexican, South American and Caribbean SPE members.
Join Petrobras CEO to Celebrate Industry Accomplishments
OTC Brasil will host an Awards Luncheon on 30 October at the SulAmérica Convention Center in Rio de Janeiro to honor 2019 Distinguished Achievement Award recipients.
Carlos Tadeu Fraga (pictured) will be honored for individual achievement and Petrobras’ EWT Libra Project is being recognized for corporate achievement. Register for the event to celebrate the offshore E&P accomplishments and to engage with industry leaders from around the world.
JPT Monthly Feature: Colombia’s New Ambitions Include Caribbean and Shale Development, But Are They Achievable?
Latin America's third-largest producer is trying to build on the foundation of regulatory reform by implementing a novel permanent, continuously open bidding process and exploring unconventional development.
Read the complete JPT article.
Free HSE and Sustainability Paper Biweekly
To further knowledge-sharing in the HSE and Sustainability sector, SPE’s HSE Technical Section offers select papers for free to SPE members. Download them.
Video: Petroleum Resources Management System
SPE has two new offerings for the PRMS. These are very short videos explaining two of the most complicated topics in the document. Take a look now and watch for more to be added later. Watch now.
Connect with your SPE section and learn about their local events, networking and volunteering opportunities.
Find the nearest SPE Section >>
- Argentine Petroleum
- Caracas Petroleum
- Eastern Venezuela
- Golfo San Jorge
- Monagas Venezuela
- Northeast Colombia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Western Venezuela Petroleum
- Anton de Kom University of Suriname
- Escuela Militar de Ingenieria Santa Cruz
- Escuela Politecnica Nacional
- Escuela Superior Politecnica del Litoral
- Federal U of Rio Grande do Norte
- Federal University of Alagoas
- Federal University of Bahia
- Instituto Tecnologia Superior de Poza Rica
- Instituto Tecnologico de Buenos Aires
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica do Rio
- Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- Universidad Autonoma De Nuevo Leon
- Universidad Central de Venezuela
- Universidad Central del Ecuador
- Universidad de America
- Universidad de Buenos Aires
- Universidad de Oriente
- Universidad del Zulia
- Universidad Estatal Peninsula de Santa Elana
- Universidad Gabriel Rene Moreno-Bolivia
- Universidad Industrial de Santander
- Universidad Mayor de San Andres
- Universidad Nacional de Cuyo
- Universidad Nacional de Ingenieria
- Universidad Nacional de la Patagonia
- Universidad Nacional de Piura
- Universidad Nacional del Comahue
- Universidad Privada de Santa Cruz
- Universidad Surcolombiana
- Universidad Veracruzana, Poza Rica
- Universidade do Grande Rio
- Universidade Estacio de Sa
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas
- Universidade Estadual do Norte Fluminense
- Universidade Federal De Alfenas
- Universidade Federal de Itajuba
- Universidade Federal De Pelotas
- Universidade Federal De Sao Paulo- Campus Baixada Santista
- Universidade Federal do Espirito Santo
- Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
- Universidade Federal Do Rio Grande Do Norte
- Universidade Federal Fluminense
- Universidade Veiga de Almeida
- University of the West Indies
- University of Trinidad & Tobago
- University of Vila Velha
222 Palisades Creek Dr.
Richardson, TX USA
Hours: 0730 to 1700 CST (GMT–5) M – F
The Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) is a not-for-profit professional association whose more than 156,000 members in 154 countries are engaged in oil and gas exploration and production. SPE is a key resource for technical knowledge providing publications, events, training courses, and online resources.