South America and Caribbean
One Year of Sustainability Is Not Enough
I cannot believe that a year has passed since I was inaugurated as SPE president in Dallas last September. My term has passed at the speed of light as I have traveled all over the world meeting our members and representing SPE at conferences and other events.
Regional Director's message
Sustainability, one of the drivers in our region, aligns with SPE’s worldwide initiative by SPE President Sami Alnuaim to ensure the oil and gas industry meets the world’s energy needs in a manner that protects the environment.
In our region, we are working diligently to meet these requirements. We are implementing the philosophy of “Citizen Engineer” to fulfill sustainable development in our communities. Together with National Oil companies (NOC) and International oil companies (IOC), we are integrating a clean thinking into our operations and processes. Our region is equipped with opportunities for members like you to be part of our sustainability challenge.
Colombian Section Celebrates 52 Years
A photo to commemorate the celebration of 52 years of the SPE Colombian Section held in the Ecopetrol club in Bogotá, Colombia. Learn more about the Colombian Section and networking opportunities in your area.
Article credits: TWA, Darwin Smith Vásquez Mendoza, Student, USCO
Video: Petroleum Resources Management System
SPE has two new offerings for the PRMS. These are very short videos explaining two of the most complicated topics in the document. Take a look now and watch for more to be added later.
“I was very saddened to hear of the recent passing of several great leaders — Juan Roger as well as DeAnn Craig and Stephen Holditch. Our sincerest condolences to their families and the many people who were inspired by them.” — Mark Rubin, CEO and Executive Vice President, SPE
In memoriam of these great leaders:
Dee Ann Craig
Celebrate Industry Pride at Two Premier Conferences
SPE is co-locating LACPEC and the International Conference on HSE and Sustainability, 17–19 March 2020 in Bogotá, Colombia. It is a unique opportunity to be inspired by topics that enrich your commitment and professional pride.
Congratulations to the Winners of 2019 SPE Presidential Award for Outstanding Section!
Nine SPE sections have been awarded the SPE Presidential Award for Outstanding Section, the highest honor a section can receive. The awards will be presented to section officers at ATCE in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Volunteer Translators Sought
We are looking for members who are proficient in another language to help translate glossary terms, articles, and papers from English into other languages. Opportunities include:
Leaders of Petrobras, ANP, and the International Energy Agency to Speak at OTC Brasil
Join us at OTC Brasil, 29–31 October, in Rio de Janeiro to engage with top E&P executives from around the world, including:
- Roberto Castello Branco, CEO, Petrobras
- Fatih Birol, International Energy Agency
- Decio Oddone, National Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels Agency (ANP)
- Marie-Noëlle Semeria, Chief Technology Officer, Total
Register today and take advantage of the special hotel rates.
TWA Monthly Feature: Petrobras Runs Biggest Supercomputer
Journal of Petroleum Technology: Petrobras’s supercomputer Fênix is among the world’s 500 biggest computers and ranks first in Latin America. Read The Way Ahead Article by the Agência Petrobras.
Want to Attend ATCE? Show Your Boss the Benefits
There are many reasons to attend this year’s SPE’s Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition (ATCE). With 300+ papers, 200+ exhibiting companies, and multiple networking events, ATCE offers access to the latest technologies and practices. Use the ATCE Justification Toolkit to help outline the benefits to your supervisors, and make plans to join on 30 September–2 October in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Registration for ATCE is open, and early rates are available until 26 August.
Free HSE and Sustainability Paper Biweekly
To further knowledge-sharing in the HSE and Sustainability sector, SPE’s HSE Technical Section offers select papers for free to SPE members.
Connect with your SPE section and learn about their local events, networking and volunteering opportunities.
Find the nearest SPE Section >>
- Argentine Petroleum
- Caracas Petroleum
- Eastern Venezuela
- Golfo San Jorge
- Monagas Venezuela
- Northeast Colombia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Western Venezuela Petroleum
- Anton de Kom University of Suriname
- Escuela Militar de Ingenieria Santa Cruz
- Escuela Politecnica Nacional
- Escuela Superior Politecnica del Litoral
- Federal U of Rio Grande do Norte
- Federal University of Alagoas
- Federal University of Bahia
- Instituto Tecnologia Superior de Poza Rica
- Instituto Tecnologico de Buenos Aires
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica do Rio
- Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- Universidad Autonoma De Nuevo Leon
- Universidad Central de Venezuela
- Universidad Central del Ecuador
- Universidad de America
- Universidad de Buenos Aires
- Universidad de Oriente
- Universidad del Zulia
- Universidad Estatal Peninsula de Santa Elana
- Universidad Gabriel Rene Moreno-Bolivia
- Universidad Industrial de Santander
- Universidad Mayor de San Andres
- Universidad Nacional de Cuyo
- Universidad Nacional de Ingenieria
- Universidad Nacional de la Patagonia
- Universidad Nacional de Piura
- Universidad Nacional del Comahue
- Universidad Privada de Santa Cruz
- Universidad Surcolombiana
- Universidad Veracruzana, Poza Rica
- Universidade do Grande Rio
- Universidade Estacio de Sa
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas
- Universidade Estadual do Norte Fluminense
- Universidade Federal De Alfenas
- Universidade Federal de Itajuba
- Universidade Federal De Pelotas
- Universidade Federal De Sao Paulo- Campus Baixada Santista
- Universidade Federal do Espirito Santo
- Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
- Universidade Federal Do Rio Grande Do Norte
- Universidade Federal Fluminense
- Universidade Veiga de Almeida
- University of the West Indies
- University of Trinidad & Tobago
- University of Vila Velha
To sign up for the JPT Unconventional Insights newsletter, please provide your name and email address here.
Help Us Keep You Informed
This web page disseminates relevant regional information to Mexican, South American and Caribbean SPE members.
222 Palisades Creek Dr.
Richardson, TX USA
Hours: 0730 to 1700 CST (GMT–5) M – F
The Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) is a not-for-profit professional association whose more than 156,000 members in 154 countries are engaged in oil and gas exploration and production. SPE is a key resource for technical knowledge providing publications, events, training courses, and online resources.