SPE Response to COVID-19 Pandemic
At this difficult time for our industry and the world, SPE hopes that all our members and their families are safe and can avoid exposure to the virus. The COVID-19 pandemic, spreading at the same time as another oil price drop, is creating a lot of turmoil in our industry. The situation remains very fluid. As things evolve, the health and safety of our members, customers, and staff will be our highest priority and guide any decisions that we make.
We understand the uncertainty facing our members and want you to know that we are doing what we can to adapt to current conditions. We are exploring online options for many programs. We recognize that networking is a very important part of SPE. While many people are working from home, we encourage you to remain part of the valued SPE community. Use SPE Connect to stay in touch with colleagues.
Most of the Distinguished Lecturer visits for March-May have been cancelled. SPE is investigating webinars and other online ways of bringing these industry experts to you. We know that many SPE sections are cancelling their meetings as well. We are exploring options for the student paper contests and other member activities that have had to be cancelled.
Most SPE conferences and workshops through June have been postponed or cancelled (see current list below). We are making every effort to postpone, rather than cancel, events where possible to preserve the significant work that has already gone into planning them by our volunteers—both program committees and authors.
These are challenging times. Shauna Noonan, 2020 SPE President, sent the following message on Twitter:
In my 30 years as an SPE member I have been through ups and downs both professionally and personally, with the one constant being the support of my SPE "family." As we help one another through these turbulent months, let’s showcase to the world the compassionate side of oil and gas.
Current List of Events Postponed or Cancelled
Includes new dates where available.
- OTC Asia, 17–19 August 2020
- Workshop: Emerging Solutions for Offshore Asset Integrity Challenges, 7–8 July 2020
- Workshop: Thriving in the Energy Transition by Stepping Up on Emissions Management, 15-16 September 2020
- Workshop: Petroleum Economics – Solution Provider to Game Changer, 12–13 October 2020
- SPE/CHOA Slugging it Out Conference, 9 September 2020
- Canada Unconventional Resources Conference, 15–16 September 2020
- Canada Heavy Oil Conference, 15–16 September 2020
- Workshop: Subsurface Data Analytics, 27–28 October 2020
- Norway Subsurface Conference, 14 September 2020
- SPE Europec at 82nd EAGE Conference and Exhibition, 7–10 December 2020
- Workshop: Complex Reservoir Fluids, Dates TBC
Latin America and Caribbean
- International HSE and Sustainability Conference, 28–30 July 2020
- Latin America and Caribbean Petroleum Engineering Conference, 28–30 July 2020
- Workshop: Reservoir Characterization of Mature Fields, 8–9 September 2020
- Trinidad and Tobago Energy Resources Conference, Dates TBC
- Lebanon Offshore Oil and Gas Exploration and Development Symposium, 2–3 September 2020
- Workshop: Advances in Acid Stimulation in Carbonate Reservoirs, 7–8 September 2020
- SPE Conference at Oman Petroleum & Energy Show, 14–16 September 2020
- Symposium: Unconventionals in the Middle East, 29–30 September 2020
- Workshop: Tracer Technology, 14–15 October 2020
- Workshop: Advances in Technology and Solutions for Well Integrity, 18-19 October 2020
- Workshop: Change as a Constant: Digital Transformation in Oil and Gas, 19–20 October 2020
- Symposium: Reservoir Management and Water Flood Excellence - Present and Future, Dates TBC
- Workshop: Unlocking the Potential of Low Quality Reservoir in Brown and Green Field, Dates TBC
- Workshop: Workover and Well Servicing, Dates TBC
- Symposium: Hydraulic Fracturing, Experience and Prospects, Dates TBC
- Workshop: Health, Safety and Environment, Dates TBC
- Workshop: Rate/Pressure Transient Analysis in Unconventional Reservoirs, 8–10 December 2020
- Improved Oil Recovery Conference, 29 August–2 September 2020
- GRC/SPE Workshop: High-Temperature Well Cementing, 14–16 September 2020
- Workshop: Well Completions for Unconventional Resource Development Optimization and Parent-Child Interaction, 11–13 May 2021
- Offshore Technology Conference, Dates TBC
- Western Regional Meeting, Dates TBC
- URTeC One-Day Workshop (Midland), Dates TBC
- URTeC One-Day Workshop (Denver), Dates TBC
- URTeC One-Day Workshop (Oklahoma City), Dates TBC
- SPE/IADC Managed Pressure Drilling and Underbalanced Operations Conference and Exhibition, Dates TBC
- Forum: Is Cyclic Gas Injection EOR the Future for Unconventional Resources?, Dates TBC
- SPE/ICoTA Well Intervention Conference and Exhibition, CANCELLED